Where should the pressure gauge be mounted and what are the advantages of this configuration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SPG runs down the LHS and is clipped off to a waist-belt mounted D-ring. The SPG is a standard gauge on the end of a stiff-ish HP hose (traditional, not Miflex) and a bolt snap tied (using four loops of thin line, not cable tied) on the hose close to the end.

To read the SPG, LH reaches back, finds and unclips the bolt snap, pull the gauge forward, read, re-stow.
This is identical for doubles or single tank.

The argumentation is that when diving on vacation, you rarely meet divers who also use a configuration with a longhose. But that is not what this topic is about.
I dive long hose on vacation,
once someone who needs air gets a long hose donated to them is quite instantly obvious the advantages,

If your primary reg is on your RH cyl, then any problems relating to shutting of that post, leaves you blind,
( which is the most likely to be shutdown.)

And even my BCD gets fed from the LH side, because if I do a RH shutdown and things are really going wrong, I don't feel like I want my buoyancy gone as well,
I dive wet a fair bit,

Spg, not getting tangled is a good point,

Also a longhouse should be less likely to freeze up because the hose stores more LP air,

I have a standard (biggish) analog console that has SPG, depth gauge, compass, thermometer. I clip it across my chest left to right. easy to flip up and see everything. If I am using my DC it's on my right wrist next to my watch. No need to change since starting with this as an OW diver in 2005.

I have a standard (biggish) analog console that has SPG, depth gauge, compass, thermometer. I clip it across my chest left to right. easy to flip up and see everything. If I am using my DC it's on my right wrist next to my watch. No need to change since starting with this as an OW diver in 2005.
That works.

But the original question was about the longhose which implies the DIR configuration which has the SPG down the LHS clipped to the waist D-ring

That works.

But the original question was about the longhose which implies the DIR configuration which has the SPG down the LHS clipped to the waist D-ring
Sorry. I didn't see any mention of long hose, DIR, etc. I just saw cold water diving, and that's what I use in winter with water temps. below 40F (+1 to +5C).

Back
Top Bottom