Where should I start to approach the rebreather world

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For Malin wrecks (north west Ireland) I’ll be looking to OC deco style bailouts as the 6m stop will be the challenge for the deco gas. Something like an ali40 232 bar with 50% on top of an ali80 with 80%. Then I’ve an efficient bailout deco gas and the bottom bailout to get me there.

Whilst the normal MO is back up the shot line, plan for separation and a solo bailout ascent. Although strictly that’s two failures, am much happier with carrying everything I need to be cover the risks. (Thinking a "boom" at end of BT, bailout and get the hell out of dodge but can’t find the shot line, then I’ve sufficient for a solo ascent — and wait to face the wrath of the group and skipper)

sad but true.... @Dsix36 is one of the rare exceptions, though I do tend to attribute that to quality of instructors more than the unit itself, and that instructor is not usually Sotis...
I dive a rEvo and I think they are touch easier to breath in CCR trim i.e. not quite trim. If I am diving in a drysuit its not a problem to trim out, however in a 5 mm wetsuit (with 5 lbs less weight), not as easy to trim out, i.e. quite a bit of back kicking to get your feet higher.

I think being a new rebreather diver with only 100 hours, I am amazed at the dives I have been able to do quite easily and my real or perceived belief in the redundancy of the unit. So newbs progress quite quickly, perhaps faster than their buoyancy skills, on a rEvo.

If the original publisher is tech 1 trained @ GUE, he isn't going to be doing his 6M deco stop in vertical trim on a rEvo. He's going to work it out faster than those of us with less refined educations.

I dive a rEvo and I think they are touch easier to breath in CCR trim i.e. not quite trim. If I am diving in a drysuit not a problem to trim out, however in a 5 mm wetsuit (with 5 lbs less weight), not as easy to trim out, i.e. quite a bit of back kicking to get your feet higher.

I think being a new rebreather diver with only 100 hours, I am amazed at the dives I have been able to do quite easily and my real or perceived belief in the redundancy of the unit. So newbs progress quite quickly, perhaps faster than their buoyancy skills, on rEvo.

If the original publisher is tech 1 trained @ GUE, he isn't going to be doing his 6M deco stop in vertical trim on a rEvo. He's going to work it out faster than those of us with less refined educations.
didn't we just go over that there is literally nothing on the Revo that is actually redundant by the engineering definition?
That said, I don't understand how a perceived belief in redundancy would affect the advancement speed on the unit. You need to be comfortable with your unit and that is important, but that shouldn't affect advancement speed, you're either ready or not.

But there is a ton of redundancy in a rebreather. If you have the training to use it. Automatic redundancy, not much. But if you think about what you have and what is wrong, there are ways around most issues. This is where a good instructor is key. Teaches you to think about what the problem is and what you have to fix it.

didn't we just go over that there is literally nothing on the Revo that is actually redundant by the engineering definition?
That said, I don't understand how a perceived belief in redundancy would affect the advancement speed on the unit. You need to be comfortable with your unit and that is important, but that shouldn't affect advancement speed, you're either ready or not.
I perceive god exists => I believe god exists.
Its a fairly human trait

I think many of us don't necessarily agree with your analysis on the rEvo and your cognitive dissidence about some good rEvo rebreather divers versus some newer rEvo rebreather is a testament to your humanity.

I perceive god exists => I believe god exists.
Its a fairly human trait

I think many of us don't necessarily agree with your analysis on the rEvo and your cognitive dissidence about some good rEvo rebreather divers versus some newer rEvo rebreather is a testament to your humanity.
Unless the unit is a fully manual Revo, in which the monitoring systems are both fully independent and fully redundant, nothing else is redundant from an engineering perspective. That is not up for debate, it is a fact. If you believe the scrubbers are redundant, shame on your instructor for misleading you and if you have an electronic Revo and think the electronics are redundant, shame on your instructor for misleading you because they are not.

God is not a good analogy because it is not something we can prove. What you are saying is that you perceive the earth as being flat therefor you believe the earth is flat. Unfortunately the earth is not actually flat, ergo you are not entitled to that opinion because it is a fact.

Unless the unit is a fully manual Revo, in which the monitoring systems are both fully independent and fully redundant, nothing else is redundant from an engineering perspective. That is not up for debate, it is a fact. If you believe the scrubbers are redundant, shame on your instructor for misleading you and if you have an electronic Revo and think the electronics are redundant, shame on your instructor for misleading you because they are not.

God is not a good analogy because it is not something we can prove. What you are saying is that you perceive the earth as being flat therefor you believe the earth is flat. Unfortunately the earth is not actually flat, ergo you are not entitled to that opinion because it is a fact.
No I actually said "real or perceived" you misquoted me.

I manage risk for a living. I can tell you an insurance company needs a real or perceived model for measuring hurricane risk before underwriting hurricane risk. Whether its real or perceived is ex-facto.

You as an instructor, make similar judgement calls every day of your career. But apparently you make much better judgement calls then the rest of us .... the real or perceived will be proven ex-facto.

I dive a rEvo and I think they are touch easier to breath in CCR trim i.e. not quite trim. I
AKA sh-t trim. Which is one of the reasons the silt monster Revo divers get made fun of in N Fl caves. If you need to dive slightly head up to make your rebreather breathe better, that's a bad design imo
PS I agree with tbone that the speedier progression on a revo is BS

Where to start approaching the rebreather world, you ask? First, I suggest that you approach them from upwind to avoid most of the testosterone infused sweat stank. Use caution when you approach, some of them are as aggressive as a pissed off badger. Other members of the species are fairly docile unless you disagree with them. In general remember, they are highly territorial when it comes to their units, and are willing to get aggressive and insulting to other members that intrude into their territory by suggesting other units. Avoid mentioning water traps, CO monitoring, and 4th cells as this will agitate certain members of the species, as will discussions of counterlung locations vs. trim. Discussion of CE approvals will agitate European members, avoid mentioning PSCR units, it will annoy CCR divers. Approach them quietly and avoid prolonged eye contact that may be perceived as threatening.

No I actually said "real or perceived" you misquoted me.

I manage risk for a living. I can tell you an insurance company needs a real or perceived model for measuring hurricane risk before underwriting hurricane risk. Whether its real or perceived is ex-facto.

You as an instructor, make similar judgement calls every day of your career. But apparently you make much better judgement calls then the rest of us .... the real or perceived will be proven ex-facto.
hurricane risk is also a bad analogy, this is straight engineering, that is what I do all day every day. Redundancy is defined by continued operation without any change in function. A failed solenoid changes the function of the rebreather, a failed scrubber changes the function of the rebreather. You are not using appropriate analogies.

Back
Top Bottom