Where should I dive in Fiji?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with OntheSpot; the Peter Hughes liveaboards, although high end, do not feel like romantic cruises to me. They are generally dive, dive, dive liveaboards with good food and a nice shoulder massage when exiting your dive. FYI: I have not been on the new Peter Hughes liveaboard in Fiji (although not a new boat).

I dove the Taveuni, Matangi, Beqa areas - Beqa was not good IMO - I could have better spent my money, lesson learned! Taveuni was much better. I prefer small fast boats, as oppose to slow cattle boats. I liked the variety of dive spots (wall, reef, shore) and pelagics seen in the Somosomo Strait and Koro Sea. The diving was significantly better.

If I went to Fiji again, it would be on a liveaboard with some dives in the Bligh waters. Whatever you decide, the Fijian people everywhere I went are really lovely - a beautiful culture!

I've done Beqa, Wananavu and a live aboard. For the best diving, the live aboard is the best. It is dive, eat, dive, eat, dive, eat, and sleep.

Of the two land based resorts, Wananavu is the best for diving and accommodations. Plus the diving is much better when the weather lets you get to the Bligh Waters.

Preferably in the water of course.

My dives there were right off Nadi (I had just spent two diveless weeks in New Zealand and just had to wet my gills as soon as I landed) and Savusavu at the Cousteau Resort. As usual, I enjoyed all those dives but have no other sites such as those mentioned above for comparison.

Thanks for the responses. I def want to do the shark dive of beqa. Some of the problem will be just the logistical difficulty of flying to various places from beqa to do the extra diving given the current time constraints (8 days, although I might just pay to rebook the return flight). I was partly thinking of diving around beqa just because it would be cheaper/easier, but i realise that (apart from the shark dive) it isn't the best diving fiji has to offer. The island dancer II doesn't seem too bad - atm it is just a debate between seeing the best diving and the logistical difficulties/extra cost of that, as opposed to maybe doign a cheaper option. I haven't had time to read all the links yet, but will get around to it and will probably have more questions when i do.

To finish with a noob question - how does it work being a solo traveller in terms of finding a buddy? Are there often otehr people doing teh same thing if hte boat (either liveaboard or from a dive resort) is large enough or do people not object to maybe going in 3s or is it basically a big nono to turn up without a prearranged buddy? I've only done one liveaboard and that was part of my open water/adventure training and any otehr diving i've done i've done with friends.

When you're going on a liveaboard or boat diving on a day boat getting a buddy should not be a problem. Either there will be someone else who needs a buddy or you can dive with the DM. Granted the "instabuddy" thing can have drawbacks but it will probably be fine.

If you do find yourself in a situation where you get paired up with someone you have serious reason to be uncomfortable diving with, speak up and insist on diving with someone else or the DM. (Sometimes you can't tell until you're in the water, in which case at least get it fixed for the next dive, and remember not to do anything stupid or beyond your training just because you wound up with an instabuddy who is an idiot. Sometimes this will require deciding between the lesser of 2 evils.)

I was in Fiji in April... both at Ono Island (next to Kadavu) and Wananavu that had access to the Bligh waters-weather permitting. I would strongly suggest doing a LOB to the Bligh waters....I did 6 dives in the Bligh and 4 of the dives were up there with the best I have ever done in Palau or Raja Ampat.....the other 30 dives...well I would compare with Cozumel...LOL....My 2psi!

Hello!

Fiji is great!

I would definitely recommend you to check Beqa Lagoon & Paradise Tavenui. Both places are perfect for either couple or single traveller. Diving is stunning with blue ribbon eels, clown triggers, lionfish, leaf scorpionfish, reef sharks and millions of colorful Anthias and Fusiliers.

My favorite way to dive is from Liveaboards and I can only recommend you to check out The NAI'A. The crew is amazing and will make sure you get the most out your trip.

When are you planning to go?

I think Damselfish got it right. Dive Ops/liveaboards can't expect divers to show up in pairs. Everywhere I have been (and not just Fiji), solo divers have not been a problem. If everyone is paired up then buddy with the DM.

Some of the dives were more challenging due to currents and surge (especially some of the Somosomo straits dives) so I was glad my wife was my buddy. We both know each others expectations and limits. Definitely spend time talking to your instabuddy. If your not comfortable with the buddy, make your concerns known to the DM.

I have had instabuddies hover a foot over my shoulder the entire dive (felt like I had a shark sucker) and others who were oblivious to the entire situation.

Back
Top Bottom