Where should hose protectors go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

knfevg

Registered
Reaction score
I know that I should put hose protectors on each hose on the 1st stage side. Should I also put the same protectors on the hoses arround the 2nd stage?

I took mine off the day that I found a part of the hose bubbling, which was hidden by the protector. I feel that they also retain salt under them.

I've never had a problem not using them, but then again, I might be in the minority.

Many experienced divers would answer "in the trash".

IMO, while there might be a slight advantage for strain relief for a hose protector at the first stage, I see no need for hose protectors at the second stage.

Considering I'm an old fashioned guy with 4 hoses coming from the first stage, should all of them be protected?

trash-can.jpg

In the circular file as it seems that a number of shops/techs don't bother to pull them back when servicing a reg. I've seen colonies of green stuff growing under them. Of course the diver is also at fault for not rinsing but reg serviced 3 weeks ago should not have that much corrosion.

Ok, so I understand that there is a "trend" not to use them at all. Great, my wife will be happy that I wont be spending ~$10 :)

Ok, so I understand that there is a "trend" not to use them at all. Great, my wife will be happy that I wont be spending ~$10 :)

Yeah save the $ for a air or nitrox fill:D

Hose stress occurs when a dangling spg gets caught between rocks in surge or current.
Hanging regs also stresses hoses creates permanent bends and shortens life. It is someones physics law that they dont teach us and some gear storage makers.
More physics. An impact mid hose is absorbed by movement and flex. Closer the second stage may elongate your smile and would suggest keeping your mouth away from solid protruberances.
However the very firm end attached to 200lbs of ballast could probably do with some extra umpf, if one is a bumper into overhead, and around corners sharp bits.
If protectors are relatively easy to slide you may well clean under them. Many are not. If they have internal ribs as all, especially tank boots should, self cleaning and drying is more probable.
In some applications with certain regs they look good. In others not.
Put a swivel, on your second end and route the hose under your arm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom