Where should hose protectors go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ti325; I probably was unclear, and may have misunderstood your explanation.

I thought you meant that hoses without strain relief would have cracks in the outer cover - correct? Was that just in the areas near the crimped-on fitting? Was the rest of *all hoses* - with and without strain relief - in good condition?

Thanks,

Henrik
(Disclosure: I do not use strain reliefs, mostly because I prefer to be able to easily inspect the hoses in the area near the crimps.)

Hi Henrick:
My experience, as documented in the photos, is that the hoses with out the "Strain Reliefs" will crack at the ferrule, while looking as good as new along the rest of the length.
There is with out a doubt a stress concentration at this point. Hence the eight hoses showing identical failures.

I believe I mentioned in the first post that the other hoses on these eight regs were showing the same cracking pattern, but had no yet cracked through at the ferrule, these hoses also had no "Strain relievers" (SPG, LPI, and Octo)

The next post shows photos of hoses from the same shipment, installed at the same time, on identical regs,with the same amount of use, showing no damage at the ferrule,
nor anywhere else along the length on the hose, i.e. they look as good as new except for a bit of normal abrasion, and
no additional corrosion, as a result of the "Vented strain reliefs".

These are simple piston first stages, and they do, by the nature of the radial port layout, put a lot more stress on the primary second stage hose, as it is short and must make the, relatively tight bend to the divers mouth.
The octo hose is longer, and hangs downward when installed, almost normal to the reg port lay out.
The LPI hose makes a gradual bend and is pretty static,
The SPG hose, is relatively long, and held at the divers left side, thus reducing the amount of stress concentrated at that connection.

Eight other identical regulators were set up with identical hoses, on the same day, all with 'Vented Strain Relievers" all of those hoses are in perfect condition, and are still in service.
The amount of corrosion on all of the connectors is identical, hose protector or not, this leaves the one issue of looking for a bubble, which I submit is entirely possible, so my Strain Relievers are periodically slid back to have a look.

Members on ti325v`s troll/ignore list.
RJP

Members on ti325v`s troll/ignore list.
RJP

Way to discredit your argument with your own petty baiting of RJP over your ignore list. I don't know if that's a TOS violation on SB, but if it's not, it should be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom