Where, oh where have my smileys gone? Where oh where could thay be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ROXANNE

Artist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am a great supporter and enthusiast for ScubaBoard. I'm very saddened to see some of the smilies pulled from the list:idk:. Then it is questioned, dismissed and moved to the whine and cheese section :(.

After some deliberation by ScubaBoard moderators and advisors, some smilies that contribute nothing to conversations (other than trolling behavior) have been removed.

This is part of our continuing effort to keep ScubaBoard a friendly environment.
Just noticed this has been moved to Whine and Cheese. In that case, fire away folks - looks like the powers that be don't view this as a "serious" topic.

Thanks anyhow Howard.

In the mean time other smilies remain that could be considered unfriendly also.
:kicknut: :m16: :letsparty: :nuke: :ar15: :bonk: :comeandgetsome: :chairfight::dork2:

Or maybe religious innuendo is unfriendly :worship: :voodoo:
Or maybe this is unfriendly. :turd:
Really guys? Really?

Many times I won't post something because of the arrogant and rude behavior of some of the other members. That's my choice. Sometimes I do post something because of the arrogant and rude behavior of other members. That's my choice.
In my humble opinion, a certain amount of "unfriendliness" is need to have inteligent conversations or we would all just be kissing (couldn't insert the mooner smilie because it is no longer here). I think many times members go overboard in their rude and arrogant behavior, that's when censorship is needed. If you think your going to keep people from trolling when we know "everyone likes a good train wreck". Unfortunatly that's just human nature and you won't change that. If you feel the need for censorship to keep this a "friendly" environment, why don't you take it up with the individuals who are excessivly rude and arrogant. You pretty much know who they are. Maybe banning some of these unfriendly people might make a world of difference in the friendliness of the board and allowing others to join in the conversations. These changes to those of us who are friendly to others is unfriendly. :thumbs_down:

A great visionary always told me that if we wanted to talk about pink fins we could, but I guest now only if it's friendly pink fins. :blinking:

Last edited:
The mooner smiley is gone??!!

Bring it back!
Bring it back!
Bring it back!

Speaking as just one of the members of a panel of advisors (who may have been for the removal, or maybe against the removal). The consensus (since the advisors and moderators make decisions as a group) was that having those smiles as official smilies was counter productive to our re-focus on friendliness. Anyone who feels that those smilies were truly important enough to use them has the ability to hot-link them (as we've already seen)

These smilies aren't banned, they are just less available.

Your objection is noted, and like all things on this grand experiment called ScubaBoard... Things are just that. Nothing that is done is necessarily going to be done forever, not all experiments are successful.

At the same time... While a few objections have been pointed out.... I've yet to see anyone defend the viability of the popcorn smiley, and how it contributes positively to a discussion.

Speaking as just one of the members of a panel of advisors (who may have been for the removal, or maybe against the removal). The consensus (since the advisors and moderators make decisions as a group) was that having those smiles as official smilies was counter productive to our re-focus on friendliness. Anyone who feels that those smilies were truly important enough to use them has the ability to hot-link them (as we've already seen)

These smilies aren't banned, they are just less available.

Your objection is noted, and of course as all things on ScubaBoard are just an evolution. Nothing that is done is necessarily going to be done forever.

Thank you for listening to my opinion. :)

Thank God my smiley is still allowed. I have been drinking for days over this issue.

Later,
Moonie

Now I can return to my regular drinking pattern :rofl3:

I was always sad not to see this one.. 86440219.RjTzeCqh.2wanker.gif

We need a good "rubbing my chin, thinking" smiley :D

I've yet to see anyone defend the viability of the popcorn smiley, and how it contributes positively to a discussion.

You put it after a video link, silly! Movies + Popcorn = Happy People. Happy People = Positive Discussions.

... I'd also settle for a box of Goobers or some Sour Patch Kids :D

Devon, I think that smiley is trying to play 'Rock, Paper, Scissors'... but forgot the signs for paper and scissors!

I think the new graphic that appears when :popcorn: is typed shows that the unfriendliness of the board is not just among the users, but among the staff as well. Nice job showing your true colors folks.

:shakehead:

EDIT - now back to not displaying a graphic again. Power trolling was reveresed.

Last edited:
Interesting accusations. I will investigate this.

Back
Top Bottom