Where is your "bar"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I look at setting the bar at a certain level much like making a New year's resolution. I don't participate in either one. However my personal desire as a diver is stated very well in your sig line.

"Anybody who says their goal is to become a skilled diver is somebody I want to go diving with!"

I want to continuously improve my skills. Constant improvement, that's my "bar"

It swam up right between his legs, turned around and CHOMP! bit the guy's 2nd stage.

"Uh, hey Beavis... he said the baracuda bit the guy's "second stage" huh, huh, huh..."

beavis-and-butthead.jpg

I personally liked the hang bar at 15' on the Sundancer II.

I do find that the better I am at diving, the more fun I tend to have diving (and the more cool stuff I tend to notice while diving). To that end, my personal bar is set pretty high (as in, it'll take years to get there, if ever), but like you is based on my observations of the tremendous skill and apparent effortlessness and ease displayed by some of the instructors and long-time divers in my local area. To me, that seems as close as I've seen anyone get to being completely natural and comfortable in the water.

Your question made me look over at my fish in his tank. I'd like to move like him. (I'll skip threatening every fish that enters my territory though.)

The real bar? To have the skills and presence of mind to dive safe, and be able to help when it's called for. All else is enjoying being a part of experiences nothing but diving could give me access to.

My bar is 3 notches higher then where i am now, always will be.

My bar is 3 notches higher then where i am now, always will be.

Ah, a soul brother!

While the attitudes that I experienced during my GUE instruction do not make me aspire to be part of that organization, I do appreciate their skills. My "bar" is to be an excellent diver without being part of GUE.

My bar in general is to be a well rounded, competent diver.
Known for good conversation and laughter during the SI and trusted underwater.
It's a goal open to anyone, regardless of socioeconomic status or education;
may take a lifetime to perfect but work can start immediately.
No course required.

My current bar specifically is to be able to stay underwater no matter what happens for as long as I need to. When I've got that perfected I'll consider technical diving.

Being fairly fresh out of Fundies, the waterman skills of Bob Sherwood is my "bar". No chance of ever reaching it :) , but I think it's good to have something to strive for to help you not just repeat the same thing over and over with no progress.

From motorcycling I know that - at least for me - improved skills allow me to "relax" and better enjoy the activity.

Key is to realize that the bar is for inspiration and encouragement and not for beating yourself over the head and kill the joy of the activity.

Henrik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom