Where is your "bar"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I try not to base my "bar" on other people's skills ... that way too often leads to disappointment in an activity that should be bringing me joy.

I set my "bar" by deciding what I want to achieve and what I believe I need to do to get there. If I can achieve that goal ... even less gracefully than someone else might ... I will take satisfaction from having achieved it, and then think about whether or not my "bar" needs a reset.

At this point in my life I have to recognize that there are certain levels of diving I will never achieve, and therefore there is no point in wishing I could be like the people who dive at that level. Realizing what I am capable of doing, and what I will need to do to improve in certain areas, helps me set a bar that I can reach ... and even though I have to struggle to get there, reaching it gives me the satisfaction and joy that are, in the end, the only reason why I dive in the first place.

For me it's not about being like someone else ... it's about reaching that place inside myself that says "ya done good" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

When I took GUE Fundamentals, they told me they would show me the bar, but it was up to me to reach it. They did; they showed me a level of control and precision in diving I didn't know existed. ... Where's your bar? Does somebody epitomize it?
A REALLY thought-provoking post, both because of the question asked AND the diversity of attitudes and information displayed in the responses. At the moment, my bar is the degree of grace, control, and (apparent) effortlessness, demonstrated by (someone Blackwood mentioned) Steve Bogaerts in one of his videos (Demo in a Razor Harness). Yes, the soundtrack probably helped enhance my initial reaction to the video. But, I am truly inspired every time I watch it. I want to to be able to dive with that degree of precision. I don't want to be Steve Bogaerts. I certainly don't care if people look at my diving and say, 'Wow, he dives like Steve Bogaerts.' Instead, I want to reach the point where I can dive and feel I am floating through the water with the serenity that the video conveys. I don't want to be a better diver than someone else. Rather, I want to be a better diver tomorrow than I am today.

For me, it is not a issue of any 'pressure', or trying to be someone else. It is part of the learning process of life in general. If I observe someone doing something (that I either already do, or want to do) extraordinarily well, I do not necessarily set a bar to be that person, or even to be able to do whatever they are doing just like they are doing it. Rather, I look at how they do it (whatever it is), and what I can learn from how they do it, that will allow me to do it better myself. The feeling is actually hard to put into words. But, to blatantly plagiarize some popular song lyrics, 'Ain't about how fast I get there, ain't about what's waiting on the other side. Its the climb.'
BabyDuck:
for me it's both. i want the skills to be there quietly doing their thing so i can concentrate on what i'm seeing - the skills should be the zen. so there that they aren't there anymore.
Yes!! Thank you.

Where's your bar? Does somebody epitomize it?

There have been a number of bars over the years, with a role model at each stage. I've been fortunate to meet wonderful people who have been diving pioneers in their respective disiplines. Although their individual expertise has varied, they all shared the same love of the underwater world. They all went past what they wanted to accomplish themselves and showed immeasurable patience to a young diver; giving him the time and placing him on the right path, sharing some of the wonders that they had found.

My bar is to share the knowledge that I've received from my mentors, so others can have a similar joy. To me it seems an appropriate way to say thank you.

Where's your bar? Does somebody epitomize it?

In my limited exposure to the diving world, I'm coming up on my third year anniversary of diving, it would be Bob Sherwood.

His water skills are remarkable but he also sets the bar very high for how a diver should behave outside of the water. Bob is approachable, humble, encouraging, knowledgeable and always willing to explain rather than thump his chest and force the "Kool-Aid" on others. He leads by example and I am more than happy to follow.

Bob has shown me the bar, I don't know if I will ever be able to reach it but as long as I continue to have fun working toward that bar, it's all diving for me. :)

I still remember the very first breath I took from my regulator while underwater in the pool during my OW training. I remember the realization I had that my world had just grown larger. I, too, dive to see the underwater world. I like it all. The fish, the crabs, the sea anemones, the starfish, the bioluminescent plankton, even the barnacles as they feed in the current, everything.

My goal is to improve my diving skills to enable me to visit the underwater world and not have any negative impact. I observe people as they dive, take note of any skills that will help me to be a better diver, and learn those skills.

Ron

When it comes down to my dive philosophy it is that I dive for pleasure. I dont really have a diving hero, although I have had the good fortune to dive with some really good divers, and I dont have a bar to aim at. However I do have some ambitions in diving and some special dives I want to do. So I look at my diving from time to time and decide on a way to move it on in the direction that will allow me to do the more challenging dives.

Colliam7, I know what you mean about Steve Bogaerts' videos! The one on wreck diving just absolutely epitomizes for me the feeling of being free in three dimensions, and the grace that is possible when you are absolutely at home in the water. All the people I admire have that incredible quality of absolute relaxation, at least to watch. I only hope to achieve that someday.

(Although sometimes, I remember the interview with Brian Boitano, where the reported asked him, "Watching you on the ice, everything seems so effortless, so instinctive, so graceful. Is that your experience of the skating? Do you just get "in the flow" and go with it?" And Boitano replied, "H*** no! I'm out there thinking constantly -- a little more weight on this edge, arm up a little higher, balance a bit before the jump . . . NO, it's not effortless or instinctive for me!" I sort of secretly wish it's like that for these guys, although I doubt it :) )

My Bar? To have fun, spend more time diving with my lovely bride and enjoy what so few really have the opportunity to see.

If I get the pleasure of diving with anyone, I'm at my happiest when we safely surface and compare the many "Did you see that!" moments.

There are some amazing divers out there, but there are many more like me, just out to dive safe and enjoy the day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom