where is the reel clipped

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dtdiver:
but if you sling one or two bottles on the left why not a d-ring on the right to get your reel out from behind the bottles?

You answered your own question with:
dtdiver:
sometimes the reel snags my long hose.

If you're thinking that clipping it off to the butt D ring causes possible entanglement hazards or that it could deploy by itself (not that THAT ever happens!! :wink: ) imagine this snafu clipped off to your right side and THEN, as Mr. Murphy would have it, your buddy needs your long hose.........

god i hate it when i answer my question!!! (and someone points it out)

but that's the beauty of these forums.

actually my reel has a closed handle so it doesn't catch the hose but my buddy's is open and has that propensity. which for me can be a disaster if i need the hose.
after this discussion it won't be an issue for either of us!

thanks for the advice

dt

novadiver:
If your prone to dropping stage or deco gas than clipping it to the bottles is a good idea because you can tie off to the bottles and always find your gas again. I don't know if this is DIR but it is a safe practice.( being able to find your gas in low viz,That is) It's also a good Idea to have a safety reel as a back up to shoot a bag with. I don't know if this is DIR , but someone here can comment on that. I stow all my reels on a tank D-ring. I'm sure that's not DIR but it is CDS, and works well for me . GOOD LUCK

you would never tie your "primary wreck line" line to a stage bottle. Even then, you would still have to remove and resecure your line if the reel was clipped to the stag. Picking a good place to drop the bottles is fundamental. Drop the bottles near your entry point, grab the reel, tie-off outside the enty point and just inside. Also, you would carry a 2nd lift bag.

dtdiver:
actually, the L hip reel will work better for me. sometimes the reel snags my long hose. but if you sling one or two bottles on the left why not a d-ring on the right to get your reel out from behind the bottles?

Your bottles will float up and out of the way while the reel will hang down and out of the way of the bottles. The key is that the reel is clipped to the d-ring below the snaps for the bottles... that keeps them out of the way of each other.

salty:
This would allow the reel to hang down too far, in general the only thing ever cliped off the the front d ring is a scooter.

Yes, it does hang down (not much farther than other points). But you wouldn't "stow" it there. Just for the descent, then you are using it. Stow it on the stag clip or waist D.

Wendy:
I don't think it has to go in the hogarthian forum, if its a DIR answer he wanted. Maybe he is evloving to DIR.

I am on my way to DIR, so I would like the DIR answer. I will post it in the Hogarthian forum, as well.

We dive off of New Jersey and a reel is a necessity even without penetration on most of the dives because of the low visibility. Some bring two reels, as a backup in the event that they have to shoot a bag for an ascent line if they can not get back to the anchor line. the issue of a second reel just complicates my question for now.

From the posts, it doesn't seem that there is a definitive position, other than it can not go on the right side as it may block deployment of the long hose.

msandler:
Drop the bottles near your entry point, grab the reel, tie-off outside the enty point and just inside. Also, you would carry a 2nd lift bag.

I'm not sure if he just mis-typed or if he was actually saying to make your tie-off to the bottles. Maybe you both are saying the same thing; but it definately isn't clear in either case.

Nothing changes with the way you make your tie offs, as msandler states. But it appears he's implying the bottles are near the line.. No. You make your tie-ins and then clip your bottles [perhaps what novadiver meant when he said tie into the bottles] on the line so you can find them with only tactile input from the line.

[yes, I'm intentionally not addressing the issue of dropping bottles and assuming there is need]

tanzer2250:
From the posts, it doesn't seem that there is a definitive position, other than it can not go on the right side as it may block deployment of the long hose.

Well... it can't go on the right side because there won't be anything there to clip it to :wink:

Spectre:
I'm not sure if he just mis-typed or if he was actually saying to make your tie-off to the bottles. Maybe you both are saying the same thing; but it definately isn't clear in either case.

Nothing changes with the way you make your tie offs, as msandler states. But it appears he's implying the bottles are near the line.. No. You make your tie-ins and then clip your bottles [perhaps what novadiver meant when he said tie into the bottles] on the line so you can find them with only tactile input from the line.

[yes, I'm intentionally not addressing the issue of dropping bottles and assuming there is need]
Okay, I'll say it. Don't drop bottles on a wreck penetration. No guarentee you are coming back that way, unlike most caves with one exit. Current, vis issues, collapsed egress point, etc. Too many CF's that could happen before your return. :wink:

O-ring:
I can't tell from your profile where you are from, but that might make perfect sense in your environment. Around here, sometimes we need reels to tie in near the anchor line just for external non-penetration dives because the viz is so bad. I carry the dumb thing on almost every single dive because I never know until I get to the bottom whether I will need it or not.

South-east Asia. Some of the best wrecks in the region, yet diveable with a 3 mm wetsuit :D

We get an average viz from abt 10m - 20m, so only need the reel for overhead environments.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom