where is the reel clipped

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dtdiver:
presently, i put my canister and my reel on the right and my bottle on the left

my thinking was to equally distribute the bulk on both sides. canister+reel = one bottle

i'll have to think about the logic of your setup.

thanks
dt
Where do you clip the reel if you have no d-ring on your right side? Remember - this is the DIR forum, so there should be nothing other than the canister light on your right. While your solution is perfectly workable (provided it doesn't trap your long hose, as was mentioned by another poster), it is not DIR and this is the DIR forum..

msandler:
Since you are specifying wreck diving... If you are not going to "drop" your stages on the wreck, you can use the stage clip. I often leave my stages topside. A right side D is convenient but, if you are 100% DIR rigged, you might use the 2" ring on the front crotch strap

This would allow the reel to hang down too far, in general the only thing ever cliped off the the front d ring is a scooter.

tanzer2250:
Where is a reel clipped to the harness? Not a finger spool, but a wreck reel for Northeast wreck diving.

Tanzer, post this in the hogarthian forum please.

O-ring is right, this is the DIR forum, so it would be the right thing to "pull your dog" from this fight.

novadiver:

O-ring is right, this is the DIR forum, so it would be the right thing to "pull your dog" from this fight.

I don't think it has to go in the hogarthian forum, if its a DIR answer he wanted. Maybe he is evloving to DIR.

novadiver:

:) Heya, nd!

It's a good question, and I don't know what the DIR answer is. I clip mine to my left hip d-ring. I have tried the bottle too, but a lot of times I don't know if I will need my reel or not (depends on viz, penetrations encountered, etc.) - you know the whole deal since you dive up here too. On my hip d-ring, I can leave it there and never deploy it the whole dive and it is out of the way. I like that better than the butt d-ring because of entanglement issues.

Like I said, I don't know what the DIR answer is, but I am pretty sure it is not clipping it on the right side because in the standard DIR config there is no right hip d-ring.

O-ring:
:) Heya, nd!

It's a good question, and I don't know what the DIR answer is. I clip mine to my left hip d-ring. I have tried the bottle too, but a lot of times I don't know if I will need my reel or not (depends on viz, penetrations encountered, etc.) - you know the whole deal since you dive up here too. On my hip d-ring, I can leave it there and never deploy it the whole dive and it is out of the way. I like that better than the butt d-ring because of entanglement issues.

Like I said, I don't know what the DIR answer is, but I am pretty sure it is not clipping it on the right side because in the standard DIR config there is no right hip d-ring.

I ask him to post in the hog forum so I could answer without offending anyone,( I've pulled my dog too)

Hey O-ring remind me to tell you about the time I got lost on the palmer because I didn't run a line.That will never happen again!

Just so everyones not mad at me (again) if this is posted in the hog forum I'll go thrue the pros and cons of all reel placement options.

Disclaimer: novadiver is not DIR but he does dive northeastern wrecks,

In my case, the reel is only brought along when the dive has planned penetration into a wreck. If not required I don't bring it.

Usually while descending, it's clipped off onto the butt d-ring so it leaves my hands free for equalising and other things. but before reaching the planned depth and primary tie-off point, I'll have it out in my left hand and ready to go, so entanglement on the butt d-ring isn't really an issue.

filtered:
In my case, the reel is only brought along when the dive has planned penetration into a wreck. If not required I don't bring it.

Usually while descending, it's clipped off onto the butt d-ring so it leaves my hands free for equalising and other things. but before reaching the planned depth and primary tie-off point, I'll have it out in my left hand and ready to go, so entanglement on the butt d-ring isn't really an issue.
I can't tell from your profile where you are from, but that might make perfect sense in your environment. Around here, sometimes we need reels to tie in near the anchor line just for external non-penetration dives because the viz is so bad. I carry the dumb thing on almost every single dive because I never know until I get to the bottom whether I will need it or not.

i dive great lakes wrecks and tend to dive with one all the time and am evolving DIR. my plans include dir-f.
i hope you're not offended by a non-DIR-cert diver asking questions and picking your brains!

and i realize that imitating the dir setup doesn't make you DIR.
but DIR 's logical approach to config i feel is a "standard" to be emulated.

actually, the L hip reel will work better for me. sometimes the reel snags my long hose. but if you sling one or two bottles on the left why not a d-ring on the right to get your reel out from behind the bottles?

if you want i can move to the hog forum.

dt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom