Where is Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RooLuvsToDive

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I don't want to seem like an idiot because I have traveled quite extensively. However, none of my travels have been to diving-intensive places........so, I'm curious as to where Roatan is???? I've seen it mentioned quite frequently on this board. :confused:

RooLuvsToDive once bubbled...
Okay, I don't want to seem like an idiot because I have traveled quite extensively. However, none of my travels have been to diving-intensive places........so, I'm curious as to where Roatan is???? I've seen it mentioned quite frequently on this board. :confused:

One the Bay Islands off the Caribbean coast of Honduras.

Thank you so much.....might have to travel there someday to dive!

I must tell you something. A friend went to Roatan this year and said that the reefs, especially the shallow ones, had been decimated by the last big hurricane that went through there. There were huge barrel sponges but they were just broken off and scattered across the reef. She said there was very little life to be seen on the shallow reefs. The deep reefs were better but not a lot. She said the pictures in the brochures show great diving but the photos are of the reef before the hurricane went through.
Just a "heads-up."
Ber :bunny:

I just booked a trip to Roatan with my LDS. Has anyone else been there lately? Is it as bad as Ber Rabbit says? If it is I better get to see a Whale Shark.

It depends alot on whether you dive the north or the south side of the island.

We always stay at CoCo View Resort on the south side. I don't remember a hurricane going over Honduras this year but in the past, yes there has been damage. Mostly to the sponges and the elkhorn coral, both which grow amazingly fast and soon return.

No, you won't see alot of some of the larger fish because Roatan is still fished by the locals for food and they have some commercial fishing. But there is plenty of life on the reefs.

Everyone sees things differently and has different expectations. I love the south side of Roatan and return every year. It's probably my favorite place to date.

Roo...the only way to be sure is to go and decide for yourself!

Is Anthony's Key Resort close to the Coco View?

my BF just got back from there. He said the diving was great. He loved "the texas wall". It was more of a drfit dive with 55 min. down time. I saw some pics and it looked nice, but I'm usd to diving in SO.CA.

They started off staying in Sandy bay. but the house they rented proved to be not the best place to stay. They left for safety and sanitation reasons. the ended up staying the rest of the trip on the west end and for the most part he liked it, but he said 2 weeks was too long to stay there.

As for the hurricane.....it did do alot of damage. There's coral piled up on one spot of the beach. It's all bleached and they were encouraging people to take it. He took a ouple of large pieces home.

I do have lots of pics of Roatan if anyone wants to see them. some are pretty and some are ...well....what it's like there.

the average annual income is $200.00 a year so that gives you an idea.

Paco once bubbled...
Is Anthony's Key Resort close to the Coco View?

No, Anthony's Key is on the north side.

Click here for a map of roatan, showing most of the resorts.

As you can see, the south side is more protected from storms, although not immune!

CCV Resort itself is a large reason we return year after year. It's a family run resort that was developed by divers for divers. Even the meals are scheduled around the diving! It has diving available 24 hours a day...literally. If you want to dive at 2am, just grab a tank and go. Of course there are safety factors involved but nonetheless, it's easy to dive any time you want. Prefer shore diving? No problem. A smooth beach entry is just a short walk from your gear area.

And the diving has always been great. The visibility isn't as great as in some places, say like Cozumel, because the south side doesn't get the currents. But I'll take that 80+ visibility any day! In the 'front yard' of CCV you have a freighter ship wreck, the Prince Albert, and two vertical walls that are amazing. There's nothing to compare to doing an early morning dive on a wall as you watch the sun come up and the day creatures waking up to begin their day. Back to shore in time for breakfast and catch the first 2-tank boat dive at 9am to start your day.

Yep, I'll go back...year after year after year......

First of all, thanks to all for the encouraging news about Roatan. I'm feeling better about my trip. Just because Anthony's is on the north, does that mean that the dive boats won't go around to the south? I've heard that the current is very, very slow on the north, is that true? Any other comment on Anthony's Key Resort?
Shore diving from there OK? (except for the damaged coral)?

Back
Top Bottom