Where/how do you mount your light canister and route the cord in your sidemount rig?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kr2y5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
^^^^^ also, if not too much to ask, may I trouble you for a picture, please... :)

I dive an SMS100. I have my canister on my back. The cord is on a "sidemount gland" that goes up the left side of my rig. The light-head then goes through the bungee holding the wing crunched up and then gets clipped to my left chest d-ring. When I don the rig, it comes off my chest and onto my hand.

I dive an SMS100. I have my canister on my back. The cord is on a "sidemount gland" that goes up the left side of my rig. The light-head then goes through the bungee holding the wing crunched up and then gets clipped to my left chest d-ring. When I don the rig, it comes off my chest and onto my hand.

Thanks! Does this routing allow you to swap your hands easily? I would then assume there is more dangling cord when you hold it in the left hand. Where do you stow it? Also, by back do you mean on the crotch strap around the butt D-ring, or more like, in the small of your back? How long is your cord?

butt mount. Routes up on the left side on the inside of the harness. Pops out up at the top of the shoulder strap and hangs down. Clips to shoulder while donning, then onto left hand. Canister clips to the bottom of the rails on my nomad and the crotch strap runs over it to keep the canister in place. Sits rights below your glutes and is quite comfortable, also easy to reach the switch.

Thanks! Does this routing allow you to swap your hands easily? I would then assume there is more dangling cord when you hold it in the left hand. Where do you stow it? Also, by back do you mean on the crotch strap around the butt D-ring, or more like, in the small of your back? How long is your cord?

Mine is in the small of my back. Tbone's is under his crotch strap. I've been half-tempted to move mine for cave diving.

Mine doesn't allow me to easily swap hands. I've never felt the need to. I keep my light on my left hand always. With a longer cord, you could....but there's been no need and I much prefer to not have any excess cord.

Mine is in the small of my back. Tbone's is under his crotch strap. I've been half-tempted to move mine for cave diving.

Mine doesn't allow me to easily swap hands. I've never felt the need to. I keep my light on my left hand always. With a longer cord, you could....but there's been no need and I much prefer to not have any excess cord.

Thanks. And if I understand correctly, you also route over the shoulder, like T-bone does? What length of the cord does it take to route comfortably, and how tall are you?

If you can't google pictures of them, we can probably take a picture of ours tomorrow for you. They are both about 3 feet from each other currently, but that's upstairs and the playoff games are on.....

His is how most Edd trained divers will have theirs, so you can probably find similar threads on here or cave diver forum that have pictures. Mine is butt mounted similar to the Razor guys, but I have a buttplate on my nomad. What rig are you using? That will say a lot about your mounting options.

I don't know how long my cord is....tbone and I could go upstairs and measure. Whatever the Underwater Light Dude stock cord length is. I'm 6'6" and whatever that length is works well.

My cord does go over my shoulder.

He is 6'6", uses normal length cords, advantage of mounting it middle of back.
I'm 6'4", but have put an extra long cable on there so I can run it up inside the rig, keeps the cable pretty tidy. No real need to swap hands, I will clip it off if I have to and there is usually at least one wrap around my forearm to take up some slack. That being said, you can use a normal length cord and butt mount it, but without a 90* angle on the canister it is a bit difficult, and you can't stretch all the way forward. I dove it with butt mounted with a normal cord for years, but the extra long cord helps. It's 2 wrench fittings and 4 solder joints to change, super easy.

Here's an article about it... It's in french, but pictures will maybe help.

If I had a canister, I'd probably backmount it because that's the way I feel is best for my current diving (stowed under the wing, the back is already stiff due to the weight pocket anyway). But in the end, I'd just try the various possibilities and see what I prefer.

Back
Top Bottom