Where have you seen the best visibility ever seen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The best I've had has been (once) Little Cayman, Easter Sunday 1998 when we had at least 200ft. viz, the best I've seen in Hawaii (twice) would be backside of Molokini at 100ft. and the area with the most 100ft. viz was diving near the Fathers reefs off New Britain for nearly a week.

File0395.jpg
File0111.jpg

.....New Britain............................................................ Little Cayman

Yonaguni, Japan awesome viz like diving in a bottle of Vodka its so clear- close second to the Kerama islands.

I dove Jupiter Fl in Feb. had visability of about 100 ft

I think for me it was Roatan in early march of 2000.......A tongue of cool water came in then for a while & vis was great.......Was on the floor @ 110 ft @ the El Aguila & could read AKR's name on the side of their boats that morning...Our son who lived on Roatan for over 3.5 years remarked how clear the vis really was..He was videoing that dive for AKR & got a shot of what I am referring to....

really impressive photos, the best viz i have ever had was in Malta at 30m (100 feet), the best I have ever had in England was 20m (60feet), generally its less than 10 feet over here.
Had never heard of Silfra before, but now i'm interested.

Mike

really impressive photos, the best viz i have ever had was in Malta at 30m (100 feet), the best I have ever had in England was 20m (60feet), generally its less than 10 feet over here.
Had never heard of Silfra before, but now i'm interested.

Mike
Silfra is as clear as swimming pool. As TSandM said that the fresh water of The Cenotes is very clear, maybe, one can find elsewhere as clear as The Cenotes or Silfra.

Actually, a secchi disk can be (and is) used to measure noth horizontal and vertical visibility. When I've used one, I measure vertical visibility then get in the water with another diver and measure horizontal visibility. You are correct, they are often different.

I did this last week as a marine science experiment with my sons. We measured identical values both horzontal and vertical with identical results.

The embarrasing thing as my personal estimates I made before the actual measurements (as well as my sons) were were way off from the secchi disk values in different directions. Just goes to show divers estimates are very subjective.

Last edited:
I did this last week as a marine science experiment with my sons. We measured identical values both horzontal and vertical with identical results.

The embarrasing thing as my personal estimates I made before the actual measurements (as well as my sons) were were way off from the secchi disk values in different directions. Just goes to show divers estimates are very subjective.

Sounds interesting. How about sharing some more info about your experiment? If you have time.... :)

I assume your estimates were greater than measured, right? That's what mine would be.... :D

What was your definition of visibility?

What was the maximum visibility?

What kind of body of water?

What kind of staining or particulates were in the water?

Where was the sun? Cloudy day? Consistent amount of sunshine?

Was the vertical measurement from the surface downward?

Did you happen to try the horizontal in different directions relative to the sun's position?

I'm interested because I often measure vis with a marked line on my dives and it can vary quite a bit during the dive depending on many factors. :)

Dave C

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom