Where do I start?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abitton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all,

Canuck here looking for some information... I'll be visiting my folks out in Boca in mid-March, and would love to get wet (ice diving here is nice, but it's a whole lotta work :D).

I will try to squeeze in at least 4 to 6 dives, but don't want to be driving for hours (I've never been, so I don't know how far anything is).

I am looking for your guidance! I like wrecks, reefs, fish (big and small), anything goes. I'm sure there are tons of spots in the area I'll be staying in, as well as some good dive ops (I'd rather pay a little bit more for smaller charters, not being a big fan of cattle boats). For me, it's not about the depth, but the richness or uniqueness of a site.

Also, what kind of water temperatures am I looking at? I can dive dry or wet, but will probably bring my drysuit because it's lighter and easier to pack. Also, should I bring some seasickness meds (I sometimes tend to have some issues when gearing up in 10-ft waves)?

Any and all information is much appreciated!!!

Alex

Don't worry about gearing up in 10 footers. They won't go out if its that ruff. I recommend you google a boat called Sandy's Sunday. It's a dive op just north of where you will be staying. They have a great crew and let you dive until you are done. None of the 40 minutes and back up. They aren't very big either so you don't feel like you are on a cattle hauler. The dive sites where you are going to be are arguably some of the best in the country so you will have some great dives. I wouldn't worry about going dry either. By the time you come down I'm guessing the water will be back up in the 70's at least. It is running the high 60's now so you should be fine in a wetsuit coming from the great white north.

I will 2nd sandy sundays or capt dave with littledeeper dive charters either of the two.

Heres sandy sundays website OceanQuest Scuba

dont have capt daves on hand atm.

......I'll be visiting my folks out in Boca in mid-March

Boca Raton Florida?? Closest OP has to be Capt. Tony on the Diversity!! Great dive boat and he knows that area very well. For a memoriable dive I'd suggest the United Caribbean which is also connected to the Sea Empress. Lots of fish life. Expect Temperatures of 74-77 degrees.

For grins, ask Capt Tony to tell you about Florida Lighting storms and how they rarely hit dive boats!!

Drive to West Palm Beach, get on Sandy's Sunday and let that crew so you some great diving. Tell them what you'd like to see and they will do thier best to make it happen. My wife and I used to dive just who ever had a special running or space, but we happened on Sandy's group and we've never even considered diving with anyone else again. The atmosphere is great, and the crew is just awesome. They take the time to learn your name and they really enjoy what they do, so it shows. We are allowed to dive our computers and no ridiculous time limits, boat rules: Don't go into deco, Don't run out of air, and have fun! Dive sites are great and none of them are much more than a 30 minute boat ride. You can find them at OceanQuest Scuba but if diving on weekends, plan ahead, they sell out quick especially during the summer months.

Hello all,

Canuck here looking for some information... I'll be visiting my folks out in Boca in mid-March, and would love to get wet (ice diving here is nice, but it's a whole lotta work :D).

I will try to squeeze in at least 4 to 6 dives, but don't want to be driving for hours (I've never been, so I don't know how far anything is).

I am looking for your guidance! I like wrecks, reefs, fish (big and small), anything goes. I'm sure there are tons of spots in the area I'll be staying in, as well as some good dive ops (I'd rather pay a little bit more for smaller charters, not being a big fan of cattle boats). For me, it's not about the depth, but the richness or uniqueness of a site.

Also, what kind of water temperatures am I looking at? I can dive dry or wet, but will probably bring my drysuit because it's lighter and easier to pack. Also, should I bring some seasickness meds (I sometimes tend to have some issues when gearing up in 10-ft waves)?

Any and all information is much appreciated!!!

Alex
Hi Alex!
Water temps here will be around 22.2º C. Personally, if I had the drysuit, I'd bring it, not so much for the water temp during the dive, but for the air temperature when you get out (also about 22ºC).
Though most boats wont go out in 10 foot seas, you may want to bring the meds if they help to smooth out 4 footers.

As Johnoly already pointed out, the closest boat to you will be Diversity that runs from Boca Inlet. Captain Tony Coulter runs a nice operation.

Just up the road 20 minutes north, you have Boynton Beach (Kevin who runs http://diveboynton.com is a favorite here on the board). Just down the road 20 minutes south, you're in Pompano Beach and three boats stand out in my opinion. Avid Diver Charters, the Miss Conduct, and Parrot Island Scuba.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom