Where did you solo dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Appreciate that, but rather surprised the boat actually anchors as it may need to rapidly move for many reasons.

Also, anchoring a boat means a long scope (ratio of depth to length of anchor chain/chain+rope) and the chain being pulled over the reef. If the tide turns, the boat will change direction and drag the anchor chain around.

As a wreck diver, I just find that a bit surprising that the boat would anchor and effectively cannot use the engine whilst divers are in the water. Obviously we all use different procedures in different locations.

Divers swim back to the boat. In a genuine emergency, I imagine they would cut the anchor rope if it couldn't be retrieved quickly.

The boat our club uses does the same on almost every dive. Short scoped with a grapnel anchor on a rocky reef. The skipper has never dragged afaik, or gotten the chain stuck.

We had a situation a while back where a few drivers got swept away in current. We got most of the divers on the boat and accounted for then the skipper upped the anchor and picked the rest of them up. It was all good.

This was my solo dive today. Sidemount LP 85s, DPV in Devils' Ear.

Sept18-2023.png

Solo dive. Dock Dive. 8'-12'.

I met up with my friendly neighborhood Jawfish. I had some clearer water and decided to make a dock dive. Total bottom time was about an hour on a Mistral double hose. Very Relaxing. Got a couple pictures of a Spot Fin Jawfish. One of the males was incubating eggs.

Sorry I'm not a better photographer but I hope you enjoy the photos.

Attachments

• DSC03268.JPG
    DSC03268.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 34
Spot fin Jawfish, male with eggs in mouth.

Attachments

• DSC03278.JPG
    DSC03278.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 34
Solo dive. Dock Dive. 8'-12'.

I met up with my friendly neighborhood Jawfish. I had some clearer water and decided to make a dock dive. Total bottom time was about an hour on a Mistral double hose. Very Relaxing. Got a couple pictures of a Spot Fin Jawfish. One of the males was incubating eggs.

Sorry I'm not a better photographer but I hope you enjoy the photos.
Gulf side of Florida? That water color looks like Venice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom