Where did you solo dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I actually went diving yesterday!

- Dive #945
- Pukanui Bay, Hen & Chicken Islands, Northland, New Zealand
- Maximum depth: 20 metres
- Dive time: 45 minutes
- Visibility: 15 metres
- Temperature: 19 C

Holiday season boating day. Left my wife and son topside while I did a dive. Pony got to dive for a change. Warm enough in my 7mm free diving wetsuit. Purpose was to catch a crayfish (lobster). Unfortunately, they were either too small or inaccessible. Still, it was fun dropping on to a new spot and exploring the bommies. Lots of fish. An eagle ray circled the area throughout the dive. Up and down anchor line, so whole dive was at 20 metres. Started my ascent at 100 bar. I'm getting more conservative in my old age!

Went to Lake Lucerne to try to find the car wreck from 1926, got in the water, finned for 45minutes, searched for 10 and finned all the way back. Time to get a scooter.

Didn't find the wreck but met lots of fish, so it's not all a loss.

I intended to solo today. Does that count? I set the alarm, got up early for the hour plus drive to the Bridge. But before I got out of bed I checked the radar.
1703780313522.png

Turned the alarm off, rolled over and went back to bed.

I went to one of my favourite crayfish (lobster) spots the other day. It’s a rock in the middle of nowhere with a massive crack in the middle that always holds heaps of crays.

It was so good to be back in the water since I’ve been working away for the last month and haven’t been able to dive. I did a solo dive and two dives with the brother in law. We got our limit on reds and I found a packhorse as well. It was a great day on the water.

I think my wetsuit has shrunk though haha.

Attachments

• IMG_1942.jpeg
    IMG_1942.jpeg
    136.7 KB · Views: 45
I went to one of my favourite crayfish (lobster) spots the other day. It’s a rock in the middle of nowhere with a massive crack in the middle that always holds heaps of crays.

It was so good to be back in the water since I’ve been working away for the last month and haven’t been able to dive. I did a solo dive and two dives with the brother in law. We got our limit on reds and I found a packhorse as well. It was a great day on the water.

Good work! I'm coming to the conclusion that I'm the world's worst or unluckiest cray diver. Funny thing, my wetsuit seems to have shrunk too!

Nice bugs.

Damn that shrinking neoprene!

Well, I went for stone crab today. Didn't get skunked in the literal sense but only because of one keeper. First one of course. All the others were just barely short which sucks because when I scouted in September I should have had a dozen claws today. Not sure where they all went but they were gone. Maybe I'll have better luck next week.

Anyway, found one legal claw and a glass pipe for weed.

8' : 27 mins. 60° water temp in Santa Rosa Sound.

Attachments

• PXL_20240102_224343259.jpg
    PXL_20240102_224343259.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 34
  • PXL_20240102_223729231.jpg
    PXL_20240102_223729231.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 30
Well, I went for stone crab today. Didn't get skunked in the literal sense but only because of one keeper. First one of course. All the others were just barely short which sucks because when I scouted in September I should have had a dozen claws today. Not sure where they all went but they were gone. Maybe I'll have better luck next week.

Anyway, found one legal claw and a glass pipe for weed.

8' : 27 mins. 60° water temp in Santa Rosa Sound.
That's not for weed. That's a meth pipe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom