Where did you solo dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Humber Bay, Lake Ontario on January 1st, haven’t been there since 2019. Lots has changed in terms of bottom topography.
Interesting! Changes are.
What do you mean by topography?
You did find a new shipwreck but do you think that winds and currents affect the bottom sediments too?

Willis Pt, Saanich Inlet, Vancouver Island; April 27th, hit the water, near high tide at, 4:59. The top 40', primarily meh. Vis around 3' at best in the top 25, 5' vis till around 40' where it got below the meh layer. One drops straight through the soup layer to start the dive, here. Down to my 99', where vis was as far as one's light could travel. Something has hatched down there, and lots of life moving around. Where is a marine biologist when you need one. I went to the right at entry, found the new mooring block for the new dock to the right. Entered the water with 3400 psi in my Faber Hp 100, exited with1100 psi. 34 min dive, deepest being 99', avg depth 60' and 8C water temp. My Peregrine, made me do a 5 min safety stop as I got to 1 min NDL a couple of times. 30cu Catalina pony, 3000 psi, start and finish. After an hr surface interval, I joined the local GUE group on their. "casual" dive. They had a very current vis rpt.

10 Mile Point shore dive site, Victoria, Haro Straight, Vancouver Island. Splashed at 10:28 am, on a wonderful slack tide. Dropped down to 93'; vis was glorious for this site. In the top 40', vis was an easy 20'. Deeper I got, the better it got, around 30' in a hazy particulate. Also nice to see, was brightness above, not a solid dark layer. My average depth was 56' over 40 min. Temp at the bottom was 8C. Hit the water with 3400 psi in my 100Hp Faber, exited with 500 psi. 30cu Catalina pony started with 3000psi and ended with 3000psi. Recovered a bunch of fishing lures, and scared the crap out of a huge Irish Lord I snuck up behind while he was lying in an ambush spot. A wonderful morning for a solo dive. My 259th logged dive, 24th dive totally solo.

10 Mile Point shore dive site, Victoria, Haro Straight, Vancouver Island. Splashed at 10:28 am, on a wonderful slack tide. Dropped down to 93'; vis was glorious for this site. In the top 40', vis was an easy 20'. Deeper I got, the better it got, around 30' in a hazy particulate. Also nice to see, was brightness above, not a solid dark layer. My average depth was 56' over 40 min. Temp at the bottom was 8C. Hit the water with 3400 psi in my 100Hp Faber, exited with 500 psi. 30cu Catalina pony started with 3000psi and ended with 3000psi. Recovered a bunch of fishing lures, and scared the crap out of a huge Irish Lord I snuck up behind while he was lying in an ambush spot. A wonderful morning for a solo dive. My 259th logged dive, 24th dive totally solo.
Gandalf, that sounds absolutely beautiful. I’ve always wanted to dive Vancouver Island. I had a chance a few years ago to take a ferry out on my motorcycle and rode around the island which was beautiful. Someday I’ll get there with my scuba gear.

I have been on Guam for the last month, and have had some exquisite solo dives, my favorites have been gun beach at night. I’ve seen hunting octopi, slumbering turtles, incredible nudibranchs. Most of those dives have been with my single back plate and wing and either a 40 ft.³ pony or a 19 ft.³ pony, although a handful have been side mount solo. Today I did my 50th dive on Guam this month. I’ll be here for one more month, my original goal was to get 65 dives in over the two months while I’m working. But I think I might shoot for a little higher. 80?
We’ll see.

May 11th, McKenzie Bight, Saanich Inlet, Vancouver Island; hitting the water at 3:00 pm. Doing something different today, I climbed down the goat trail to the beach, under the parking lot, and entered there. Nice pebble beach made the entry easy. A shallow grade on the bottom, I blindly followed through congealed caramel pudding. Glad I took compass bearings before I submerged. I was hoping to find the top of the boat hull that was down there. At 40', the hull of the boat was found, as I literally swam into the starboard side bow. Vis was 1'. I kept following the grade down (if I had entered at the normal spot, I would've called the dive due to vis) and at around 65'-70', vis was closer to 5'. At 75' the congealed pudding gave way to a heavy haze, which gradually thinned to 85', where, low and behold, crystal clear water was below. 97' was my deepest, at which point, I was shinning my Sola 1200 into the depths, the low power setting reflecting off the bottom way below me, Not having twins, or a deep cert, I let the temptation subside. If you were diving with a buddy, a tether would be the only way to keep in contact with each other, above 80'. At exit at the normal entry point, the surface 20' was actually not bad for vis, for a snorkler.
3400 psi in 100hp Faber to start, 1200 psi ending. 30cu Catalina pony, 3000 psi to start and finish. 33 min dive, 97' deepest, 59' avg, 5 min SS. Shearwater Peregrine, set to low conservancy.

Gandalf, that sounds absolutely beautiful. I’ve always wanted to dive Vancouver Island. I had a chance a few years ago to take a ferry out on my motorcycle and rode around the island which was beautiful. Someday I’ll get there with my scuba gear.

I have been on Guam for the last month, and have had some exquisite solo dives, my favorites have been gun beach at night. I’ve seen hunting octopi, slumbering turtles, incredible nudibranchs. Most of those dives have been with my single back plate and wing and either a 40 ft.³ pony or a 19 ft.³ pony, although a handful have been side mount solo. Today I did my 50th dive on Guam this month. I’ll be here for one more month, my original goal was to get 65 dives in over the two months while I’m working. But I think I might shoot for a little higher. 80?
We’ll see.
I was on Guam in 2001. If you get the chance you should check out Blue Hole. A boat dive to a heart shaped hole in the shelf that drops down to the sea floor a few hundred feet down. There is a passage at about 125ft from the hole to the open ocean. That was one of my favorites other than the spectacular night dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom