Where did you solo dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Hubbards Shrimp Cannery Beach", St Margarets Bay near Halifax, Nova Scotia. Actually a NEW site for me here, since I'm looking for sites for when I'm SUPPOSED to be annually around New York in July. I saw lobsters, crabs, hermit periwinkles, kelp, seaweed-- the usual cast of NS characters. But, it was dive # 830 so yahoo.....Not Turks & Caicos, etc......

I've been tardy posting to this thread!

Mrs. Stoo is broken currently so I'm back to being solo (suits me, but keep it to yourself). I managed a few evening dives after chores were done!

Cleveland dusk nice © _LLC7813.jpg

The engine block on the City of Cleveland, depth 35'

Arabia light wheel nice ©_LLC7982.jpg

The wheel on Arabia

FC Solo lighted H nice ©_LLC7999.jpg

The towing bit on the Forest City, depth 155' to the mud (about 140' here)

Solo dive in an abandoned stone quarry. First time. Never been there before.

Goal: to inspect the site. Could it be used as a dive site for fresh divers? My dive buddy cancelled and this inspection had to be done before next weeks event. Hence, a solo dive had to be done.

Maximum depth was 64 feet and visibility, with a dive light, about 6 feet (maybe less). This meant that I had to stay at touching distance from walls or bottom to have any reference. Complete darkness prevailed at 30 ft, above which a red glow appeared. Blue light does not penetrate this deep, red does; this has to do with particulate matter suspended in water. I wonder how the visibility could be so bad. I guess the water is rich in nutrients because **** has been dumped into the pool (there is farmland around the place). Water termperature was 41F (a drysuit dive).

Above surface it was a beautiful, oh so beautiful, site. And under water - a dump. I was able to find car parts, a door included, bicycles, a motorcycle with register plate attached, clothes, oil tuns (empty), unidentified metal objects, usual stone quarry stuff/tools... Ropes and cables suspended in water were a bit scary, as they could not be seen from distance. I am used to low visibility diving, but doing it without surface support or any team, and with unknown entanglement hazards, can be a bit scary. Being afraid can be a wise thing sometimes. An excellent pychological drill, though.

That site will not become my favorite spot but a cleanup dive would be in order. Children jump into water from a height there. While the bottom probably does not need to be cleaned, I think it should nevertheless.

Hello. Very cool post.
:cheers:

Ocean finally calmed down enough for a beach dive so I went for a solo dive off Laguna this morning. Spent 57 minutes on a single steel 71.2 tank in 20 to 40 feet of water. 20 foot viz. Saw a Sevengill Shark (Notorynchus cepedianus) for the first time off Laguna. It was about 6 to 7 feet long and paid zero interest in me.

Dove my Voit NAVY Phoenix/HPR as I didn't feel like messing around testing any recently rebuilt regs. Just wanted to have a nice pleasant no-hassle dive. I succeeded!

zBseL7.jpg

NOEa6a.jpg

cc: @Sam Miller III

Haigh Quarry, Kankakee Illinois, PADI self reliant.
Max deputy was 45’. Saw all the quarry attractions.
Did two dives. Beautiful day.

Just got back from 4 solo dives in Lake Tahoe. I managed to find the Alley Cat, a sunken 26' sailboat in Hurricane Bay....turned out it was a VERY easy dive. 70 ft of water 57f. temps. Viz was about 25ft. which is a little murky for Tahoe.

Wow, that brings back memories; haven't dove Tahoe in more than ten years. There was once a dive shop on South Shore, that we frequented. Do any dive shops still remain; or did you have to hall your tanks, up along HWY-50?

Perhaps a post-apocalyptic, high altitude dive will be in order, after everything "calms" down . . .

Wow, that brings back memories; haven't dove Tahoe in more than ten years. There was once a dive shop on South Shore, that we frequented. Do any dive shops still remain; or did you have to hall your tanks, up along HWY-50?

Perhaps a post-apocalyptic, high altitude dive will be in order, after everything "calms" down . . .

Last time I dove Lake Tahoe was in 1986! I'd love to do another dive there. Gotta add it to my post-Covid plans.

Sandy Cove (Terence Bay) near Halifax, NS. 63F water-- a little chilly even for here in mid Aug. Poke speared 2 flounders though. Man they are dumb.

Back
Top Bottom