Where did you first hear about DIR?

Where did you first hear about DIR?

• From a buddy.

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • On the internet.

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • My LDS or another shop.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Saw someone's configuration and asked them.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Read about it, magazine/book.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Scubaboard!

Votes: 23 29.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, my instructor first told me about DIR, but I couldn't even remember what he called it until I got on this board. Apparently he really hated them, but I'm at least coming to have a healthy respect for their philosophies.
=-)

My Instructor. He's not DIR, but its close in thought and equipment.

I first heard about DIR on Scubaboard. Still checking it out. I'm a newbie and haven't encountered any DIR 'attitude' - I would like to improve my skills and DIR sounds like a good way to to it.

Aquagal

I'd never heard of it outside this board. Actually only found out a couple of days back when I looked it up on an old thread. It's been mentioned a lot all over the show here. Interesting considering the disproportionate number of DIR practioners out there.

I found out about DIR a few months ago right here on ScubaBoard. I really liked the philosophy and gear configuration, so I bought the DIR book. Now I'm in the process of getting a complete DIR rig. I just bought a 7 foot hose, a FredT harness and backplate, and a pair of Jet Fins to replace my Twin Jets. I hope to get the STA and tank straps next month. My old wing will be ok until I save enough money for the Halcyon.

For me to essentially buy all new gear, there must be something to DIR.

ElectricZombie once bubbled...
For me to essentially buy all new gear, there must be something to DIR.
Almost all the DIR folks around have had to replace virtually all of their gear in the process of moving to DIR. So you're not alone. My major turnover was in '98. At least I was able to recoup some money from eBay.

The absolute cheapest way to get into DIR is to start out that way. Unfortunately very few shops have the knowledge or inventory to support that approach.

Roak

medic13 once bubbled...
sounds like a stupid question but i not sure what DIR is thanks please fill me in .

Don't feel bad....The first time I saw "LDS" on this board, I thought they were talking about the Latter Day Saints!:D
-Amber

I first heard about it on another board that was not as friendly as this one. It really turned me off to it. Then I came over here and read post by some people who were DIR but not militant about it and I started to understand the ideas behind it.

Chad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom