Where did you first hear about DIR?

Where did you first hear about DIR?

• From a buddy.

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • On the internet.

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • My LDS or another shop.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Saw someone's configuration and asked them.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Read about it, magazine/book.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Scubaboard!

Votes: 23 29.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

about DIR several years ago shortly after I got OW certified. As I recall I was a bit turned off by it due to the somewhat arrogant and bellicose way it was presented. This was through magazine articles and some discussions with folks who had been exposed to DIR.

I have learned the most about it from the many posts made on scubaboard. While some of the discussions here have been a little heated most of them have been interesting and informative.

medic13 once bubbled...
sounds like a stupid question but i not sure what DIR is thanks please fill me in .
As soon as you have read LD's answer to your question here...
You can come back and answer "ScubaBoard!" :D

Had not heard of DIR until early this year. And I had spent considable time in central Fla. ................

.... all learned a about the same time as the acronyms MS-DOS and UNIX.

No really... I saw a few posts with the DIR acronym on the newsgroups about the same time I learned about DIW. All were new and finally found the source GUE. Like others, I've been trying to get as much as I can out of the experience of other people. Why re-invent the wheel? But in the same breath, make sure you understand everything you read and do. Being a lemming is not DIR.

I had just finished my OW and was bouncing around on the web checking out all the scuba info I could find. Somehow I ended up on the Halcyon site. When I saw the setup I thought, That's it. That's what I want. Simple and functional. And that was just from looking at the picture.
But it wasn't until I found Scubaboard that started finding out what DIR was. While I've never met a DIR diver and have never been faced with the "DIR attitude" that some may have, I know what I like when I see it.
Now I'm saving up for my FredT BP. :)

Thanks to all for the info.

Dave

I voted "from a buddy' but actually it was from my PADI instructor. He's now training to be a GUE instructor.

He sent me articles on EVERYTHING to do with diving when I was taking his class. DIR/GUE peaked my interest and I've never turned back. I actually trained on a BP/wings.

......But in the same breath, make sure you understand everything you read and do. Being a lemming is not DIR.

Truer words have never been said. You can't just talk about diving/DIR, you have to get out and dive. I thought I knew DIR until I took the Fundamentals class. That woke me up and "showed me the bar".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom