Where did you dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a question.... how do you keep your line from tangling with the other diver's line? May be a silly question but I have visions of tangled fishing line or dancing around the maypole!

No, it's a good question, bowlofpetunias. You have to watch out for the line, swim out parallel to each other. Let's say I'm on the left, then when the buddy pair turns, I'm now on the right so the lines don't cross. There is a signal for "I'm fouled, can free myself" and "I'm fouled, send safety diver to free me".

As for the fisherman, I think he was just looking out for a good catch. Mind you, he had to auger another hole to continue fishing, but we were there setting up for the dive before he came along :wink:

No, it's a good question, bowlofpetunias. You have to watch out for the line, swim out parallel to each other. Let's say I'm on the left, then when the buddy pair turns, I'm now on the right so the lines don't cross. There is a signal for "I'm fouled, can free myself" and "I'm fouled, send safety diver to free me".

As for the fisherman, I think he was just looking out for a good catch. Mind you, he had to auger another hole to continue fishing, but we were there setting up for the dive before he came along :wink:

Thanks for that.. very interesting to find out how other people do their style of diving. I have only done one dive in Canada... Vancouver Island and the water temp was 8C and I figured that was cold enough!

When I still lived in central BC some of the guys I worked with tried to convince me to go play Upsidedown Hockey with them. They said they cut a hole in the ice went down with an air filled hard plastic ball and hockey sticks. They turned upsidedown... got air in their feet and hit the ball around under the ice!:shocked2: Seemed pretty insane to me! I told them I figured they were conning me.... they insisted they weren't but I still don't buy it... have you ever heard of anything like that?

There actually is an underwater hockey league in an area of Quebec (or so I am told by friends) so this may not be as far fetched as you think. Difference being....in the league I reference, I do not believe it involves SCUBA. Sorry for the temporary hijack but since I refuse to cut through ice to dive.....this is my post to pretend I dove today. :depressed:

Thanks for that.. very interesting to find out how other people do their style of diving. I have only done one dive in Canada... Vancouver Island and the water temp was 8C and I figured that was cold enough!

When I still lived in central BC some of the guys I worked with tried to convince me to go play Upsidedown Hockey with them. They said they cut a hole in the ice went down with an air filled hard plastic ball and hockey sticks. They turned upsidedown... got air in their feet and hit the ball around under the ice!:shocked2: Seemed pretty insane to me! I told them I figured they were conning me.... they insisted they weren't but I still don't buy it... have you ever heard of anything like that?

Now for some Australian getting to the water shots... well and getting back to the car shots. No snow no cutting holes in ice but a fair workout anyway. These shots should make it clear why many people change the "P" in Shiprock dive site name to a "T"!
mooner.gif

This is a wall dive and can only be done on slack water or the current starts ripping through. It is an active shipping channel so you have to very careful where and how you surface! Thanks to our guides Almitywife and Almity1.

Sorry for the number of shots... but I am trying to tell the story with pics and I figure with thumbnails people can chose to click on them to see them better or ignore them if they want. Please let me know If I am putting in too many

The last two shots are me looking down to fish who is offering his assistance and me looking up at A1 who is heading to the truck to drop off his camera and tank to come back an help. It is wonderful to have buddies who are considerate but never condescending or over protective! They look dark but when you click on them they show pretty well.

I knew I couldn't help anyone and just wanted to get up to the top carrying my own gear... fish says I am "pig headed" I say I am "determined":rofl3:
Attached Thumbnails

I have posted a few shots taken during the dive on the Aussie Diving thread in the Australia forum. www.scubaboard.com/forums/australia/269172-aussie-diving-jan-20th-feb-2nd.html

Last edited:
I did some emergency maintenace on a hydroelectric dam today. It was -43 degrees celcius with the wind chill. These were the most extreme conditions I have ever dove. Huge current with ZERO visibility and mud up to my chest. DCIEM 200 for 30 SurDo2 tables. I left the house at 2300hrs last night and didn't get home until 2230hrs this evening. Now that I'm drinking a glass of scotch in front of the fire thinking about my days work, it was fun... kinda', sorta', but not really.

Cheers.

P.S. I've just decided I'm not diving for a month.

Last edited:
We will organize the ice diving at 1850 meters altitude from 31 January to 1 February.
Not happening this year...

Burns Supper on 31-Jan-2009
Super Bowl on 01-Feb-2009

It will have to be some other time...

The first one for 2009, aiming for a total of 104 for the year.

Henceforth this dive shall be known as the "squeeze dive". My left post didn't work in the beginning of the dive (we went anyway :blush:) meaning that I had no way to add air to my suit to counteract the squeeze or the :cold:.

Given that this was meant to be shallow dive with two trusted buddies I felt comfortable going under without a working pressure gauge or a backup regulator. Of course, the left post functioned perfectly after the dive (in the same freezing cold :huh:).

[table 0 0 3]#|Location|Duration|Depth|Temp
357|Goese Sas|44 Minutes|12M/39Ft|2C/36F[/table]
So, where did you dive today? :)

The first one for 2009, aiming for a total of 104 for the year.

Henceforth this dive shall be known as the "squeeze dive". My left post didn't work in the beginning of the dive (we went anyway :blush:) meaning that I had no way to add air to my suit to counteract the squeeze or the :cold:.

Given that this was meant to be shallow dive with two trusted buddies I felt comfortable going under without a working pressure gauge or a backup regulator. Of course, the left post functioned perfectly after the dive (in the same freezing cold :huh:).

[table 0 0 3]#|Location|Duration|Depth|Temp
357|Goese Sas|44 Minutes|12M/39Ft|2C/36F[/table]
So, where did you dive today? :)

Well today was Bare Island, my 12th dive for the year ... water temp a chilly 17c (well it is for me in the middle of summer) but viz was 12+ metres.

75 mins at 10 m gee it felt nice at the end in the shallows when the water hit 19c

Back
Top Bottom