Where did you buy it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pjdc1

Contributor
Reaction score
After taking a discover scuba class, I have decided to continue and get my C - Card. The first thing I have to do is get my mask, snorkel and fins. The shop where I will take classes sells them but at $80.00 for a mask, it seems a little over priced. Having surfed the shops on line I have found basically the same thing at better prices. Everyplace I go tho says to " try them on ". How can you if you've bought them online. Anyone been satisfied with their online purchases? :confused:

Well, a mask is a tough thing to buy online... I would suggest going to your LDS to buy that. $80 does seem a little steep for a mask. Is there any other LDS in your area??? I would shop around. One other thing you could do is try the mask on in the LDS, then buy the one that fits you online (if you dont have a conscience). The LDS vs. Online thing will probably explode again into this thread. ANyways, my opinion is to support your LDS. Just try to get a better deal on the mask. By the way, what mask was it that sells for $80 at your LDS??? Inquiring minds want to know...

esp. for a beginner (ie first mask).

You should be able to get a good mask for $45 to $65...

Wow, that's alot of cash for a mask. I agree with the $40 to $60 range for a mask, just look around.

Also, don't buy that really expensive cool looking snorkel that the dive shop has. I had a $40 snorkel that is now resting peacefully at the bottom of the Atlantic. A simple snorkel will do the job just as well as that expensive cool looking one.

i agree with what has been said for the price range.
but with the snorkel, it depends on what you feel comfortable with, i had a cheep standard one, purge flex. bout it, in the pool i found that it was too hard for me to clear it after free diving, or antime i went under with it in my mouth. so i spent the extra like 20-25 bucks and have a dry snorkel and it works great for me. also take this into consideration if your going to bee snorkeling, get a higher quality one.
just my $.03

pjdc1 once bubbled...
The first thing I have to do is get my mask, snorkel and fins. The shop where I will take classes sells them but at $80.00 for a mask, it seems a little over priced.

You might try a search on keywords like "mask and black and skirt" and "mask and low and volume" to read some comments on differnt types of masks. You might search on "mask and Horizon" and "mask and Mares" also.

including these boards, then bought online. Mares Quattro Fins (119 at shop/ 78 online). These i like and am happy with. Snorkel Mares can't remember model. Half the price of LDS, it works. Mask was a Mares also. Like 35 online vs. about 70 in LDS. It worked for class but wasn't "the one"for me. I used it and eventually got another one. Keep the original as a backup though.

Thats just my experience when I had to make your choices. I guess by buying online, some stuff I could afford to buy 2 of. When I went to buy my regs and bcd, I did buy from the lds.

Juls:wacko:

pjdc1 once bubbled...
After taking a discover scuba class, I have decided to continue and get my C - Card. The first thing I have to do is get my mask, snorkel and fins. The shop where I will take classes sells them but at $80.00 for a mask, it seems a little over priced. Having surfed the shops on line I have found basically the same thing at better prices. Everyplace I go tho says to " try them on ". How can you if you've bought them online. Anyone been satisfied with their online purchases? :confused:

Masks come in a wide veriety of models and price ranges. Usually you can't see a quality difference from one to the other yet different models from different manufacturers have different prices. The limiting factor is which one fits. If you like one of the cheap ones your in business. One of the VERY few masks that fits me happens to be one of the least expensive ones I sell while the $80 superduper low volume masks won't woek for me even if I wanted one.

There is one distinct advantage of getting your first mask where you are taking your training. The advantage is that if they help you pick a mask that fits and you get in the pool and have trouble they should be happy to swap you on the spot. If the ill-fitting mask results in a class delay it is their responsibility. This happens all the time. I might think a mask fits you in the store yet you may have trouble with it in the water in which case I would just hand you another to try. OTOH if you buy somewhere else I won't be in a hurry to spend too much class time (cost money and causes more work for me and inconveniences the rest of the class).

If the shop doesn't have a mask for less than $80 you may want to look somewhere else for training because something is wrong.

pjdc1 once bubbled...
I have decided to continue and get my C - Card.....
I would continue to rent during the certification class. Pay attention to what I was wearing each time. Find the mask that works best and buy it from the LDS for the very reasons that Mike stated. Buy your second one on line. At least you will know that you have ONE that works. My buddy couldn't use the first mask she selected and the LDS traded her for a different one. I couldn't use the first set of fins and again the LDS helped out and traded me. That is a big plus on that first set of equipment. Neoprene on the other hand..... :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom