Where did Jaques hide it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buff

Contributor
Reaction score
Where did Jaques put his B.C.?

Uncle Pug got me thinking about streamlining and seeing as most of the water resistance comes from the B.C. and tank I started to think how you could make that more streamlined.

Then I remembered how Jaques Cousteau and his gang used to use those streamlined looking tank setups...thingies........

But where was their wing all the time??? huh? I don't remeber seeing anything puffing out from underneath their streamlined "dive packs"

So where did they hide that wing?

How did they get lift?

That sneaky Alberto Falco!!!!!!!

Old time diving didn't use a BC.

Swim down, swim up, weighting was very critical

Safety is what brought along the BC from what I have read over the past few years. As mentioned weighting was critical and its one of the primary reasons that ditching weights when in trouble was so important.

Maybe those folks diving back in the early days can explain the proper use of the horse collar back then. I think it was intended to be used as a flotation device at the surface originally. Then someone figured out the concept of using it for UW bouyancy control and it has evolved into what we have today. Just my humble opinion.

Originally posted by buff
Where did Jaques put his B.C.?

Uncle Pug got me thinking about streamlining and seeing as most of the water resistance comes from the B.C. and tank I started to think how you could make that more streamlined.

Then I remembered how Jaques Cousteau and his gang used to use those streamlined looking tank setups...thingies........

But where was their wing all the time??? huh? I don't remeber seeing anything puffing out from underneath their streamlined "dive packs"

So where did they hide that wing?

How did they get lift?

That sneaky Alberto Falco!!!!!!!

I once heard that they dove without BC's only while filming.

No BCs was the way back then. It made a diver be more in shape than is now necessary.. We also really knew how to weight and did not carry even an extra pound.

Since we were wearing wetsuits, ill fitting as they were, we always had the option to dump weight or tanks to get buoyant.

Say what you will about safety, and that must certainly figure into the problem, but diving without BCs could be expensive, tho I will admit that a "Royal Aqua Master" cost less than $100 and my first set of double 72's (with manifold) cost less than $100.

Oh yeah, Jacques has a c in it...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom