Where can you shore snorkel in Belize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kimanjo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm still working on our 6 week trip through Central America...moving through the Bay Islands, the Corn Islands, and possibly Holbox for snorkeling. Enroute I'd like to stop in Belize.

However, I need some help from you all who have been there.

Are there any small, not-built-up and kinda cheap (less than $40 night, hostels and guest houses okay) towns in Belize where you can snorkel from the beach? Much as I'd like, my budget dictates that I can't spend every day and every dollar diving, so I'm going to have to alternate with some snorkeling.

I'm not expecting fabulous snorkeling, just decent water with no murkiness, etc, and the ability to peer at the "little critters" around the piers, the rocks, etc.

I was considering Tobacco Caye, Placencia, and Caye Caulker, as well as Ambergris (which seems a bit too built-up for me). I will have my 16 year-old daughter with me. She's an outdoors girl: swims, snorkels, sails, kayaks, windsurfs, fishes....But again, my budget won't allow for $$$ stuff every day. And we need cheap lodgings. But we don't need jungle or mountains and volcanoes, we'll be seeing plenty of that in Nicaragua.

Thanks.

Unless you're snorkeling with whale sharks specifically, there isn't much snorkeling to speak of at Holbox. It's a wonderful place to chill and experience old school Mexico though!

Ambergris or Caye Caulker are your best bets. The reef is close enough to swim or kayak to. CC may have cheaper places to stay.

Excellent shore snorkelling on the barrier reef from Tobacco Caye and Southwater Caye. Shore snorkelling from AC and CC is pretty limited and the reef is too far away.

Some of the cheapest accommodation on AC is Pedro's Inn, about US$15/night. CC comes quite close, but others will have to tell you exactly where. But I'm not sure either island is ideal for you.

Back
Top Bottom