Where can I get a bottom boot for Old rounded bottom Steel 72's from the 60's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And then one could try to be vintage, hummm? Check looking in scuba mfgs 1960s catalogs to see what boots were available for your tanks at that time period. Seeing as how this is supposed to be a vintage section of the SB forums, that might just be appropriate. Look on the VDH website for appropriate catalogs and then do an eBay search or ask here or there to see if someone has that specific boot. They seem to be available from time to time.

I am referring to the vintage rubber boots, do not know about anybody else or what they are referring to. Problem is that nearly every "vintage" rubber boot I have has split from rotten rubberitus. Nothing lasts forever and especially old rotten rubber goods near five decades old. Vintage only gets so far, the deck of my boat could care less as long as it does not get dented. That said, if I could find a similar, rubber, boot like the vintage ones, I think I could see my way to using them.

And speaking of vintage, my dad did not like me denting the wooden, varnished, mahogany deck in his 1956 20 foot Lyman all wood boat in 1968 anymore than I like my much newer BW fiberglass/composite deck being dented. Vintage is fine, but I will not ruin the deck of a replacement cost 60,000 dollar boat over a five dollar boot.

Edit to add: It is fun to research old catalogs and occasionally be surprised to find a particular item still in good condition, great. But, much of the old rubber products are a little past expiration date and simply no longer functional or trustworthy. If a new manufacture item is available that is the same as or nearly same as an actual vintage item (no longer available) and safe, functional then that is good thing. And it eliminates the need to use rare items (and risk losing them or ruining them) for routine diving to save them for special dives, like a vintage gathering. I will stay with that.

Being contrarian, I like the old rubber type slip on boots. The ones that have no grooves and are of soft neoprene rubber. I have not seen these available in decades. My newest Faber came with one very similar however so somebody must make them? This type of boot is and was supposed to be removed after diving for cleaning. Unlike the hard plastic boots so common on aluminum cylinders, they were easy to remove and install, slipped on and off easy. Why do I prefer them, because they do not beat up the deck of my boat. Those plastic boots they make now are nearly as bad as no boot when it comes to damaging boat decks.

N

N

Last edited:
I really don't care what you use on your tank. I just gave an opinion as to a boot that was used in the 1960s. I might also suggest that one doesn't drop a tank on the ground, sidewalk or your boat's deck.

If you have a boot for an 80, use a piece of flexible plastic tubing to make a nearly closed loop. Drop it into the bottom of the flat bottom boot. Now the flat bottom boot will accommodate a round bottom tank.

The tanks are not the same diameter....:wink:

Jim...

Yes, but they're close enough for government work.

72inan80boot.jpg

tubinginboot.jpg

didn't think it would be tight and stay on.... So no need to buy the 18 dollar boot....

Jim....

Edit to say.... I just went down to my dive gear and I have a boot off a alum 80 that is out to hydro and tried to put the boot on my steel 72's... Don't fit.... have a good 1/8 inch all around.... not even close to fitting...

Last edited:
I'll have to double check the size then. The boots in the picture are snug enough to stay put even while diving.....will get back to this later.

Edit: Back from the garage and I stand corrected. Those flat bottom boots are probably from Al 50ies I no longer have.

Sorry for the misinformation.

Last edited:
There are at least two sizes of those plastic boots, the ones for the aluminum 50s are the same diameter as a steel 72 and Couv's suggestion may work with them. The boots for the aluminum 7.25 inch 80cf tank are much to large.

N

There are at least two sizes of those plastic boots, the ones for the aluminum 50s are the same diameter as a steel 72 and Couv's suggestion may work with them. The boots for the aluminum 7.25 inch 80cf tank are much to large. N

That's what the boot in the picture above turned out to be....a boot for an Al50. Yes, the tube in the bottom works well (have a close look at the lower picture in post #15, you can see the tubing. I have 2 72 steel tanks with flat bottom boots on. I just thought they came from a couple of 80ies I got rid of years ago.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom