Where Are The 3442 Worthington Cylinders?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If any of you guys are waiting for HP steel tanks, you REALLY need to look at these from SeaPearls! I work part time at my LDS, and had asked the owner about some PSTs back in August.....At the time, he was told they were back ordered until Feb/March. Then I found this thread and checked with the shop owner. He said he'd like to see them, too and if I wanted a pair to double he would order them. That was last week, they arrived yesterday via UPS. A week and a half beats the dickens out of 6-8 months in my book any day. AND he was able to order them with manifold valves! Most shops probably deal with SeaPearls, btw, you just have to ask!

I "dove" my X7-100 this weekend. It got a bit heavy with all the on and off for the rescue class, but it's a great tank. I can't say they're great tanks because I only used one for the entire two days of class and I still have about 42 ft3 in the tank I used.

I guess I'll be lazy and top the tank (it's 34%) with air and just have a 26-27% mix.

I am trying to decide which tank to buy. I think I prefer an LP over the new HP tanks, as I think LP is much safer than HP, but I am not sure if I should stick with PST LP, or try Worthington.

I have no experience with Worthington tanks, but from what I have seen, they look a lot like the Faber white ones, so my concern is both from a corrosion (under the paint), and brand unfamiliarity.

Is Worthington/XS/Sea Pearls now making Hot dipped Galv tanks, like the PST's?

Also, Do they make LP tanks, and has anyone on SB used their tanks?
Divers Discount sells XS for a lot cheaper than PST tanks.

Regarding the new HP tanks:
Frankly, I have a concern with the new HP tanks. If an LP 85/80 will give you roughly 85/80 cu ft of air at 2640 psi, it seems a lot safer. The new HP tanks can be also used as LP, but now, the only way to get 80 cu ft is to pump it up to 3442 psi., which is higher than the old tanks were. Using it as an LP gets about 66 cu ft, which I think is crazy. You actually need to get an HP 100 to be able to use it as an LP 80, and an HP 120 to use as an LP 96. I think this has added a lot more confusion.

Most Dive shops can't even get a 3442 psi fill, so you will most likely be underfilled everywhere you go. The only way to use the new tanks safely, is to get a larger capacity tank, which is heavier, and costs more, and fill at a lower pressure.

Rick

wrek:
I am trying to decide which tank to buy. I think I prefer an LP over the new HP tanks, as I think LP is much safer than HP, but I am not sure if I should stick with PST LP, or try Worthington.Rick

An 80 LP weighs 34 lbs. and 80 hp weighs 28 lbs empty.
Al 80's are filled to 3000 psi sometimes you get 3100 10% more and
you are close to 3442, its a no brainer go with the hp 100 that weights the
same as an AL 80 even with a short fill you have 89 cu ft at 3000 psi as
opposed to 77. :D

All Worthington cylinders are now offered hot dipped galvanized.

As far as safety goes, the HP cylinders must pass an "equivalent level of safety" test for approval by DOT. Please be aware that virtually any cylinder, by any manufacturer must pass these tests. So while I would like you to buy Worthington cylinders I cannot tell you any cylinder is "unsafe".

The determining factors are buoyancy characteristics, finish, availability of both the cylinder and HP air, and price.

Lee

wrek:
I am trying to decide which tank to buy. I think I prefer an LP over the new HP tanks, as I think LP is much safer than HP, but I am not sure if I should stick with PST LP, or try Worthington.

I have no experience with Worthington tanks, but from what I have seen, they look a lot like the Faber white ones, so my concern is both from a corrosion (under the paint), and brand unfamiliarity.

Also, Do they make LP tanks, and has anyone on SB used their tanks?
Divers Discount sells XS for a lot cheaper than PST tanks.

Regarding the new HP tanks:
Frankly, I have a concern with the new HP tanks. If an LP 85/80 will give you roughly 85/80 cu ft of air at 2640 psi, it seems a lot safer. The new HP tanks can be also used as LP, but now, the only way to get 80 cu ft is to pump it up to 3442 psi., which is higher than the old tanks were. Using it as an LP gets about 66 cu ft, which I think is crazy. You actually need to get an HP 100 to be able to use it as an LP 80, and an HP 120 to use as an LP 96. I think this has added a lot more confusion.

Most Dive shops can't even get a 3442 psi fill, so you will most likely be underfilled everywhere you go. The only way to use the new tanks safely, is to get a larger capacity tank, which is heavier, and costs more, and fill at a lower pressure.

Rick

I wouldn't think that a LP tank is any safer than a HP tank. it's only an 800 psi difference between a LP and HP tank. If a LP and a HP tank were to both explode and you were standing next to both, I seriously doubt you would be able to tell the difference. LP 104's have been over filled for years without any problems.

Also, these tanks are not painted, they are powdercoated. This is highly superior to the paint jobs that come with faber tanks. If you want to see something that is powdercoated, look at motorcycle rims. They are powdercoated and the finish is extremely durable.

Leadking:

All Worthington cylinders are now offered hot dipped galvanized.

As far as safety goes, the HP cylinders must pass an "equivalent level of safety" test for approval by DOT. Please be aware that virtually any cylinder, by any manufacturer must pass these tests. So while I would like you to buy Worthington cylinders I cannot tell you any cylinder is "unsafe".

The determining factors are buoyancy characteristics, finish, availability of both the cylinder and HP air, and price.

Lee

Thanks Lee, I appreciate your response, and I like the idea of using your tanks more each day. From what I have heard, your seem like a great company, that is truly interested in your customers needs.

Regards,

Rick

I appreciate everyone's response.
What I meant by "safer", was more towards the issues that I have heard about LP being easier on tanks, valves and regulators, so chances of high pressure failure are greatly reduced.

I think it is a good idea on the HP 100, so I can use it at Med or LP also.

Regards,

Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom