Where Are The 3442 Worthington Cylinders?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've seen some of their LP tanks and they look nice and all - but what's the deal with them being painted. Having owned several painted tanks (Faber/OMS, al tanks,etc) - I can say that they are all horrible - if you dive salt water sooner or later they will rust and (at the least) look awful. I will never buy another painted tank.

Al Mialkovsky:
Don't expect to be able to grab all the PSI tanks you want either. No steel tanks seem to come fast and easy.

I will have the comparable PST tuesday. However, my order for the worthingtons still stands as I will double up one set. But in the mean time, I need to dive.

MASS-Diver:
I've seen some of their LP tanks and they look nice and all - but what's the deal with them being painted. Having owned several painted tanks (Faber/OMS, al tanks,etc) - I can say that they are all horrible - if you dive salt water sooner or later they will rust and (at the least) look awful. I will never buy another painted tank.

I believe you will see that 'certain' distributors that private label these tanks are using this delay to have the process modified to have them hot-dipped galvanized.

MASS-Diver:

Straight from Seapearls website-

bulletround.gif
Exterior of cylinder is first coated with zinc and then finished with a white baked on powder coat finish for years of great looking corrosion resistance

ZInc is just another word for galvanizing. In the case of Worthington, I beleive the technique used is the "hot Spray" method instead of the "Hot Dipped" method. As to why are the tanks painted, the answer is they are not, they are Powder Coated. If you'd like to know why they are powder coated, this website probably will get you close to the answer:
http://www.powdercoatingonline.com/html/PowderCoatingoverGalvanizing.html

Keep in mind that the industry knock on "Hot Dipped" cylinders is that they are more prone to internal flash rusting problems because of the "Hot Dip" process.

So you can either A) live with some occasional external rust that you can see and take care of right away or B) you can take your chances with the other process that might leave you in the position of needing to tumble your tank every other year because of internal flash rust problems.

Regards-

David Thiesfeld:
Straight from Seapearls website-

bulletround.gif
Exterior of cylinder is first coated with zinc and then finished with a white baked on powder coat finish for years of great looking corrosion resistance

ZInc is just another word for galvanizing. In the case of Worthington, I beleive the technique used is the "hot Spray" method instead of the "Hot Dipped" method. As to why are the tanks painted, the answer is they are not, they are Powder Coated. If you'd like to know why they are powder coated, this website probably will get you close to the answer:
http://www.powdercoatingonline.com/html/PowderCoatingoverGalvanizing.html

Keep in mind that the industry knock on "Hot Dipped" cylinders is that they are more prone to internal flash rusting problems because of the "Hot Dip" process.

So you can either A) live with some occasional external rust that you can see and take care of right away or B) you can take your chances with the other process that might leave you in the position of needing to tumble your tank every other year because of internal flash rust problems.

Regards-

I have heard of the internal flash rust problems (although I have some PST tanks from the 80s that have not had this problem). I think your comment about tumbling every other year is an exaggeration.

Having seen some of the worthingtons upclose, I can the finish does seem tougher than a "normal" paint job. But, still.......I find is hard to belive that any paint will stay on a tank for more than a season or two. I guess I'll wait and see how some other people's hold up.

I'm not sure what you mean by "taking care" of surface rust??

Maybe I'm just turned off because they choose to paint the white, it reminds me of all those awful faber tanks that my buddies dive (the rusted, chipped ones). How about some black ones?

mike_s:
Show me the Money here!!!

(how much are these things going to cost?????? MSRP and 'actual' expected competive price? Also, what size,PSI's ? )

Dealer cost for the worthington x-100, x-120, and x-119 are going to be similiar to PST's dealer costs for the same spec cylinders.So retail prices should be similiar.

Seapearls is currently giving their dealers a break on shipping charges...so....if Seapearls still has the shipping special going on when these great new HP tanks arrive, us dealers may be able to pass some price breaks on to the rest of you.

One other note of interest, the Worthington x-130 has better dealer prices than the PST E8-130 does, so irregardless, you should be able to reap some cost savings with the Worthington's if your in the market for 130's. (**edit**once they become available)

regards-

Hi John

MASS-Diver:
I think your comment about tumbling every other year is an exaggeration.

My personal experience is that the hot dipped cylinders are great as long as they dont start developing any flash rust. But, once flash rust gets its foot in the door the tank tumble becomes an annual, or bi-annual event.

I'm not sure what you mean by "taking care" of surface rust??
Strip the old paint off and give it a coat of ZRC. (steel tanks only)

http://www.zrcworldwide.com/index.html

or be patient...and get one with factory galvanization....

80 and 100's are now in stock and 120/119/130's are on their way. All are hot dipped galvinized

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom