Where are all the big groupers????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is their paradise. However, they (the Mexican government, elected by the Mexican people) created the park and the Cozumelenos on the park board made the rules governing the park. This was not something imposed on Cozumel by outsiders. This is something the majority of people on Cozumel wanted. The people who say "it is my place, I'll do what I want" are the same kind of people who take conch illegally, spear undersize lobster, dry out starfish to sell, throw garbage on the side of the road, let their dogs crap in the park, or break any of the other rules the majority of their own neighbors agree are best for the neighborhood.

Those people exist everywhere & really don't care about others as long as they get their way.

I noticed the same thing in May. A couple years ago I was very impressed how the big groupers were making a comeback, but this year, only saw a couple kind of large Silver grouper and NO large Nassau's or Blacks at all.

I also heard of fishermen fishing in the Marine Park at night.

Poaching. I know people here who spear in the park. Some people think its their paradise and dont care they are destroying it.
I went diving with one of the top 3 favourites in scubaboard and to my surprise they let bring you spearguns , fortunately they killed only two lionfish but it is supposed to be banned per park rules, so I wonder if this dive shop let you bring spearguns and what if the people decided to bring up some other creature besides lionfish.... But for me, I won't be diving with them again

I went diving with one of the top 3 favourites in scubaboard and to my surprise they let bring you spearguns , fortunately they killed only two lionfish but it is supposed to be banned per park rules, so I wonder if this dive shop let you bring spearguns and what if the people decided to bring up some other creature besides lionfish.... But for me, I won't be diving with them again
I know you cannot hunt other marine life, but spearing lionfish in the park is banned ?

It is illegal to spear fish within the park boundaries.
Lionfish are an invasive species that cause great harm to the ecosystem of the park.
How are these two facts reconciled?
By the park rangers and the dive masters turning a blind eye to park regulations that govern spear guns in the park, as long as the spear guns are used to kill lionfish.

I know you cannot hunt other marine life, but spearing lionfish in the park is banned ?
I have never seen a spear gun used in the marine park. What you are probably referring to are pole spears...a different device. Technically only the divemasters are allowed to spear lionfish however other regular divers also carry spears and kill lionfish. The authorities do turn a blind eye to this as in general it has been extremely effective in containing the lionfish population both in and outside of the park. Cozumel has one if not the best record for keeping the lionfish population down and therefore protecting the reef fish population. I have never seen anyone shoot anything other than lionfish in the marine park. As for poaching both in and outside the marine park that is an entirely different discussion.

Last edited:
All of the big Grouper are on peoples dinner plates. That is the root of the problem. If you eat Grouper while on the Island, YOU are the problem!!!
Do yourself a favor and eat the invasive Lion Fish. I never even ate sea food until I started shooting them with a Hawaiian sling (aka pole spear). They taste great and there are plenty to go around. They can be prolific out side of the park and is like shooting fish in a barrel. There are other divers that have been trained by the Park that are allowed to spear Lion Fish with a Hawaiian sling in the park, not just DM's. I know of one person in particular that lives there that taken the "class" to be able to hunt the Lion Fish in the park. She also happens to live there and knows more about the reefs than some of the DM's.
Edit: punctuation

There has got to be a lot of poaching going on in the park. I love diving Cozumel but you really don't see any big fish around. You would think with the current bringing in all the nutrients there would be bigger fish swimming around. Lobster. They are around but should be more plentiful in a no fishing area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom