When your ultrasonic cleaner stops working!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yours appears very similar to my 2.5 gallon unit, as they all look very similar. Did water cause much of the issues? Gotta work hard to keep my board dry! Thanks for serving as a warning :wink: Fortunately mine has a drain, so water is never really running down the sides.

Fixing stuff is the best way. At the least, you can almost always scavenge parts and recycle in one form or another. I can't believe what people sometimes throw out.

Other than building a bilge pump mount base, and a mount for it sewn up that was glued into the boat, I bent up a couple of aluminum pieces to hold my table saw sled onto my table saw for storage. That means less crap laying around the garage. My friend suggested hanging it in the garage, and I asked "Where?", as there is no wall space to hang it from. I also started building a router table drop in for my table saw. Although I would really prefer a dedicated shaper table, I don't have space for it. I don't even have a work bench. Instead I use an X-table outside with 1/4" plate on top with a vise mounted to it. The plastic has enough metal embedded into it, using it for diving would leave the entire thing rust colored. (Mind you I do have a tool box with 1/4" plate and a vise too, but try to not throw too much metal working debris around inside the garage.) You would laugh at me if you saw my sad working conditions. There is always 50' of air hose and two extension cords, on the ground, to trip over.

Table saw sled.jpg

---------- Post Merged on July 24th, 2012 at 11:49 PM ---------- Previous Post was on July 23rd, 2012 at 11:05 PM ----------

My friend today asked if I could fix his little 9.9hp kicker outboard, as it wouldn't idle. I tore the carb down finding some corrosion. 10 minutes in the ultrasonic cleaner and it looked new again :) They are an awesome machine to have around, even if it is an HF Special (Harbor Freight Special). Once put back together the motor idled smooth as expected for an engine with only 2 hours on it.

The water was clear mostly at the start with a tinge of Simple Green. Now you can see it is cloudy.Ultrasonic cleaner.jpg

We expect such genius from our fearless leader! Tee hee.

Bill,

My workshop makes all the difference in dealing with these kind of things. Last year I bought a food vacuum sealer. After the 3rd use, it stopped. I looked at it for a bit, but the problem plum eluded me. The day I finished the ultra sonic, I put it on the bench. The very next day when I looked at it, I was rather embarrassed that I had missed the misplaced gasket. I replaced the gasket and walla: it worked! After that, I looked at my electric pressure washer. I traced that down to a stuck limit switch and was able to get it running again. Having all my tools organized and available really makes troubleshooting a breeze!

That way, I won't inadvertently turn it off when I am setting controls, and it will frustrate anyone who tries to use my equipment while I am not there. :D

Hahaha - Awesome.

I got an electric pressure washer for free because it didn't work. Turned out just to be the plug which is a 15 amp circuit breaker. $15 part from Amazon fixed it right up, now I just wish it would morph into a gas one with more power. Someone gave a gas powered Troy Built pressure washer away not long ago on Craiglist because it wouldn't pump...I just missed it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom