Evolved Goodman handle for XTAR D26

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisMBC

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
V2(ish) of my Goodman handle adapter for the XTAR D26 1600S. It's designed to work with the bottom half of this Aliexpress Goodman handle. I also added a guard for the power button, since it seems very prone to being inadvertendly turned on.

I have ~30 dives on my prototype model, also printed from PETG with 100% infill. No defects so far, although occasionally it seems like there's some salt residue on the outside after it dries.

Plans for V3: make the power guard button less obtrusive, and learn how to bevel/chamfer all the edges. Unfortunately I have the CAD skills of a second-grader, so that might take a while.

Attachments

• IMG_3374.jpg
    IMG_3374.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_3375.jpg
    IMG_3375.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_3376.jpg
    IMG_3376.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 111
Unfortunately I have the CAD skills of a second-grader, so that might take a while.
I started with TinkerCad too, but outgrew it for most things due to limitations (like no easy way to chamfer or fillet). I transitioned to FreeCad (can't beat the price!) and used YouTube tutorials to get started. If you wanted to take a crack at FreeCad I'd be happy to give you a walk through to model your Goodman handle design.

Respectfully,

James

I started with TinkerCad too, but outgrew it for most things due to limitations (like no easy way to chamfer or fillet). I transitioned to FreeCad (can't beat the price!) and used YouTube tutorials to get started. If you wanted to take a crack at FreeCad I'd be happy to give you a walk through to model your Goodman handle design.

Respectfully,

James
That’s a very generous offer. I’m going to download it and have a play around!

Nice work, that's a very cool idea how you have paired the 3d printed upper with the metal lower. best of both worlds. I too chose an XTAR for the mounting point for goodman handle (probably the same type you took your bottom half from). I think with your upper half you could make a clean mount for other torches that dont have the screw hole like the XTAR does.

Dean

Attachments

• XTAR with hard goodman handle.jpg
    XTAR with hard goodman handle.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 105
Nice work, that's a very cool idea how you have paired the 3d printed upper with the metal lower. best of both worlds. I too chose an XTAR for the mounting point for goodman handle (probably the same type you took your bottom half from). I think with your upper half you could make a clean mount for other torches that dont have the screw hole like the XTAR does.

Dean
That definitely looks like the same metal handle. I’ve been prototyping a design that would clamp the light and remove the need for a screw hole, but most of the lights I’ve been making handles for do have a mounting hole of some kind.

The other option, assuming that the head is bigger than the light, is just to put a small hose clamp on the light right behind the handle, to stop it coming out forwards.

I've previously just cable tied a light to the same style of handle using some holes I drilled in the handle. Seems to work fine but not really tidy enough for my liking :). Still better than a hose clamp though.

A screw on half saddle 3d printed for the exact diameter would be pretty nice.

Dean

That’s a very generous offer. I’m going to download it and have a play around!
It can look daunting at first (any full CAD program does), but YouTube is your friend!
I'll dm you later with a sample workflow for something easy.

IMG_0051.jpeg

Thanks to a new printer and Fusion360, I’ve made an updated (hopefully final?) version of the handle. Improvements include:

- Printed lower handle with bolt snap attachment
- Lower handle can rotate up so the whole package fits in a pocket
- slots for M5 nuts (rather than threading the plastic
- Thumbwheels for M5 hex bolts
- Chamfers everywhere!

Once I've got some time in the water and I'm happy with the design, I'll upload the STL and Fusion360 file somewhere.

They look great. What is the ID of torch loops? I assume it would be fairly straightforward to change that, at least to a smaller ID.

They look great. What is the ID of torch loops? I assume it would be fairly straightforward to change that, at least to a smaller ID.
I'll check, but something like 35mm. If I ever get around to it, I'd like to create a parameterized version that uses a clamp rather than screw-hole to hold the flashlight in place, so that it can work for almost any light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom