Help! Let's make a safety lock for the XTAR D26 1600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always thought maybe a sleeve that would slip over the switch with a hole in it, so you had to deliberately push directly in the middle. It would only have to be slightly higher than the activation point.

Just to to clarify, @tursiops are you saying you would unscrew slightly at depth to get it to shut off? Or just while "in the bag"?

I contacted XTAR. A person from the customer service answered and she didn't tell me that it's possible to buy separately an upgraded lock to mount on the XTAR 26. She just suggested me either the D06 1600LM Flashlight- with a magnetic slide switch or the D26 2500LM flashlight with a lock function based on a switch to be locked by turning it. This last one sounds the best option perhaps. The lady who answered anyway seems to have a commercial background, I insisted in asking specifically if a switch can be bought and mounted separately, she didn't answer but if someone can contact the technical assistance maybe it is actually feasible.

lock.jpg

I contacted XTAR. A person from the customer service answered and she didn't tell me that it's possible to buy separately an upgraded lock to mount on the XTAR 26. She just suggested me either the D06 1600LM Flashlight- with a magnetic slide switch or the D26 2500LM flashlight with a lock function based on a switch to be locked by turning it. This last one sounds the best option perhaps. The lady who answered anyway seems to have a commercial background, I insisted in asking specifically if a switch can be bought and mounted separately, she didn't answer but if someone can contact the technical assistance maybe it is actually feasible.

If you get the D26 2500 get the short version. The long version holds 2 26650 and I'm just not sure what I'm going to do with this thing (maybe beat an intruder?:))

I'm taking it to FL to get some pictures and a review together comparing to my little arsenal of lights... so sometime in Jan I have something together. I have a D26 1100 and 1600 to compare.

Just to to clarify, @tursiops are you saying you would unscrew slightly at depth to get it to shut off? Or just while "in the bag"?
I would not do either, although perhaps in the bag. I was just saying ti does work on my light...a remarkably small turn breaks the contact and shuts it off. I'm not keen on unscrewing a light underwater, even though that is how many are designed.

I always thought maybe a sleeve that would slip over the switch with a hole in it, so you had to deliberately push directly in the middle. It would only have to be slightly higher than the activation point.

So, @rob.mwpropane -- like a collar around the button? It's tall enough, judging by the pictures, that it gets tall-ish, plus you need a way to keep it attached. Something like this?

upload_2020-12-23_16-8-56.png

upload_2020-12-23_16-9-51.png

upload_2020-12-23_16-10-41.png

How far does the button need to be depressed to activate? Is the collar going to be a problem with thick gloves?

I would not do either, although perhaps in the bag. I was just saying ti does work on my light...a remarkably small turn breaks the contact and shuts it off. I'm not keen on unscrewing a light underwater, even though that is how many are designed.

The idea about unscrewing the light head is that you unscrew before the dive and in transport. It sux to take the light out of the gear bag and find it dead because it was on the whole time.

Unscrewing the head maybe 45 degrees MAY disconnect. Obviously, you SHOULD remember to check the light before you splash and this would prevent you from forgetting to screw down the head (since it won't work when you check it).

However, I have forgotten to check prior to a dive many times, and for MY lights, I just tighten the head down at depth. I don't normally unscrew during the dive, just use the normal switch function..

So, @rob.mwpropane -- like a collar around the button? It's tall enough, judging by the pictures, that it gets tall-ish, plus you need a way to keep it attached. Something like this?

View attachment 632260

View attachment 632261
View attachment 632262

How far does the button need to be depressed to activate? Is the collar going to be a problem with thick gloves?

That might work. You have to push the button down all the way, but even with gloves and a guard it wouldn't be an issue.

Worst case scenario the guard either would need to be taller or the hole a hair wider...won't know until it's printed.

If you have an stl. I'd be happy to print.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom