When your buddy's diving goals/style differ from yours

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Then, when he's used to do the housework, you can do what I do : leave him home for a couple of months and go work on exotic islands :rofl3:

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. Just disappointed he's not as into it as me. :shakehead:

That could really be taken in some different ways.......how about some experimentation with a new dive buddy? :eek:

Sorry, couldn't resist the juvenile humor. I have to agree with a few of the posters and caution you against pushing him into diving situations he doesn't want on his own. I bet you can find a compromise, maybe he'll go on some dive trips and you'll go on some by yourself or with other diving friends. This has worked well for my wife (who does not dive) and I. Depending on the situation top side, she either comes with me on trips or I go solo, or with friends. I'm sure that scenario is pretty common.

Everyone is being supportive of you joining a club or funding a local buddy to dive with.
None of us know the relationship you have with your spouse. How supportive will he be if you announce that next weekend you're going diving with a new found buddy? Oh and it's a guy? A single guy.
He may all of a sudden enjoy local diving.
But then again I have seen relationships get ugly because of it also.

Every post here makes some sense to me. Personally I wouldn't have ever considered being a once a year "vacation" diver--too dangerous for me--I'd forget too much, yes even with a refresher. OTOH, I would have almost no interest in lake diving, as I see you are from T.O. A like-minded buddy seems the obvious answer--a female one if that's a problem. I would think finding one in the area wouldn't be too hard.

Tread carefully. It could be that your hubby doesn't want to be shown up by your superior skills?

That's not it. He's better than me, hands down.

I know, it's not fair. He's the kind of guy that can "look" like he's in perfect trim just with several dives a year, and get 80s and 70s golfing once or twice a year.

Everyone is being supportive of you joining a club or funding a local buddy to dive with.
None of us know the relationship you have with your spouse. How supportive will he be if you announce that next weekend you're going diving with a new found buddy? Oh and it's a guy? A single guy.
He may all of a sudden enjoy local diving.
But then again I have seen relationships get ugly because of it also.

Maybe I can use this to my advantage muahahaha:D

That's not it. He's better than me, hands down.

If you are interested in changing that, consider taking something like GUE Fundamentals. (I think you mentioned it in the original post.)

If you are interested in changing that, consider taking something like GUE Fundamentals. (I think you mentioned it in the original post.)

Yup, I'm trying to improve and that's on my list of courses to do!

Back
Top Bottom