When your buddy's diving goals/style differ from yours

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... am I the only one who thought "Divorce" was the obvious answer? I mean, think of it... you can probably get all the dive gear and some ongoing "dive funds" from him from the settlement, if there are kids you can get rid of them with him... win, win!

(I really hope that ^^^ gets read with the comedic tone that was intended; so much can get lost through text when dealing with a stranger...)

Ha! Okay, 'trolling' aside... as another GTA person, I figured I'd throw in a couple of thoughts with respect to clubs in case you aren't already aware of them: the Etobicoke Underwater Club was a huge letdown for me when I joined them, although I met someone this year (their treasurer?) who claimed that they were being pretty active. Maybe they've changed? I don't think I managed to get even one dive with them while I was a member, and felt almost... shunned by the group at large. Unwelcome. Not fun. The Scarborough Underwater Club Inc has a pretty awesome acronym (SUCI) but also has frequent access to one of the 'good' pools (Pan AM, I believe?). I haven't really dealt with them directly, but one of the instructors I did my IE with is strongly affiliated with them, and she's good people. York Region Scuba is pretty active, and a pretty friendly group of people too. I think they all run trips - there are also some good trips that run out of the various dive shops around. Some of the 'local' trips to places like Brockville or Tobermory would give you access to diving and your husband access to places to explore and 'busy himself' while you do all the fun stuff.

As for additional training, clearly I'm the guy to go to for that. Ha! (Half-)sarcastic self promotion aside, there are some decent instructors around (even non-GUE ones!) so there's no reason why you couldn't get in most of those courses locally. I probably wouldn't suggest Cavern locally, but even I could train you in AOW, nitrox, or rescue. Wait... that makes it sound like I'm only a passable instructor... I'm actually pretty good, honest! :D (Though it's a slight deviation from topic, I was quite flattered when one of my former students told me that she'd recommend others to me without hesitation... I must be doing something reasonably well? It's a pretty big compliment in my books.) AOW is a snap to teach, and pretty fun to do (and, if you get the right instructor, can be pretty rewarding too - though if you take it through the shop I did, it can also just be a disappointing waste of time)... nitrox is even easier to teach, though slightly less fun because it technically doesn't require actual diving. Though, actual diving COULD be arranged. Rescue, I'd just suggest trying to make sure you're in a class with a good number of people - it's far less fun and far less challenging with just one or two in it.

And our local GUE guy is pretty great, too, from all accounts - I'm actually meaning to take his course one of these days myself.

Depending on what part of the GTA you're in, I'd happily give you some (albeit probably biased) thoughts on different shops worth checking out... and a couple that I'd avoid at all costs. The ones I tend to associate have a bit more of an active customer base, too.

... but as for the husband? Yeah, I still think you should trade up for a newer model. Or, as others have suggested, you could try enticing him to experience the St. Lawrence drifts or the Tobermory wrecks, or the... Gulliver's Lake ear infections? Your call.

Last edited:
Or y'all could take the latest specialty dive course " naked diving", I know of no male, or female, divers that aren't interested in that

Yup, I'm trying to improve and that's on my list of courses to do!

Do it! (take the GUE Fundamentals course). Don't wait too long. I personally took the course when I had around 50 dives and before I took the rescue course. Fundamentals changed the way I dive completely. Don't try to drag your husband along for the Fundamentals course if he is not motivated. That course requires dedication.

I can't speak for the OP, but she mentioned her husband doesn't even want to take more courses, which WOULD challenge him. Something like GUE Fundies can humble even the most experienced divers.

That may also miss the point. I love to dive. But am not in it for the challenge. I just like being under water. I have no interest in a course like GUE Fundies. Some are driven for perfection. Some just want to enjoy the dives. I am much more interested in learning about some new marine life than perfecting my trim or kick.

I am also sensing that the OP and SO may be very different personality types. She is into courses and skills and working at something. He just likes to dive once and a while, and golf once in a while, etc.. Neither is better. Learning how the SO ticks is an important part of long term relationships. My sister and her husband did some personality testing. She got unhappy because he always seemed to be needing to do something. Turns out that she is the kind that gets a lot of satisfaction from within herself. She gardens and plays some tennis. He on the other hand was off the scale the other way. He got ZERO satisfaction from within. It all came from being and doing with others. So he golfs with buddies every day while she gardens and then they do stuff with others and each other.

That may also miss the point. I love to dive. But am not in it for the challenge. I just like being under water. I have no interest in a course like GUE Fundies. Some are driven for perfection. Some just want to enjoy the dives. I am much more interested in learning about some new marine life than perfecting my trim or kick. . . .

I understand completely, but--and maybe this is what happens when the replies are replies to replies--I was responding to BDSC's suggestion that: "maybe the reason he's not as passionate about diving as you are is because he doesn't find it to be a challenge." BDSC's suggestion may miss the mark--I have no idea--or maybe I misinterpreted it as meaning that the husband might ENJOY being challenged but just doesn't know it. IF the suggestion that maybe the husband doesn't find diving to be challenging but might enjoy a bit more challenge is correct, THEN I would suggest something like GUE Fundies as a way to challenge the couple together.

My wife was a lot like the OP's husband in that she was perfectly content to take a couple of tropical dive trips a year. Indeed, so was I. After reading a lot about Fundies on SB, I suggested we take Fundies as a way to make our diving safer and perhaps even more enjoyable. She agreed to take it with me. From there we have expanded our diving horizons in all kinds of ways, including, surprisingly even to me, drysuit diving in chilly waters. We are both now into diving in a way we never would have had we not taken that first step out of our comfort zone. My wife and I both enjoy new diving challenges now. A couple of years ago, I don't think my wife knew she would.

Last edited:
That may also miss the point. I love to dive. But am not in it for the challenge. I just like being under water. I have no interest in a course like GUE Fundies. Some are driven for perfection. Some just want to enjoy the dives. I am much more interested in learning about some new marine life than perfecting my trim or kick.

I am also sensing that the OP and SO may be very different personality types. She is into courses and skills and working at something. He just likes to dive once and a while, and golf once in a while, etc.. Neither is better. Learning how the SO ticks is an important part of long term relationships. My sister and her husband did some personality testing. She got unhappy because he always seemed to be needing to do something. Turns out that she is the kind that gets a lot of satisfaction from within herself. She gardens and plays some tennis. He on the other hand was off the scale the other way. He got ZERO satisfaction from within. It all came from being and doing with others. So he golfs with buddies every day while she gardens and then they do stuff with others and each other.

@Steve_C, I think you've hit the nail on the head. Now that I think about it, it does really come down to a personality difference.

Who knew I could get marital counselling on scubaboard lol? Some of you really have talent in that regard!

With the wisdom of the previous posts already educating me, here's a few more thoughts.

I'd try to enjoy and celebrate your vacation dive buddy dives together. Talk about diving on the forum and find another group to dive with locally. If I'm doing a cave dive, I cave dive, wouldn't dream of trying to get my OW buddies to sign up or come with me. Having different interests is part of life, enjoying the shared ones us what makes a good buddy.

One dive buddy I couldn't even talk into taking an OW cert course for years. Some people just love diving and not the training or culture around it. Another buddy is an equipment nut, between 3x 4x the time spent tinkering and cleaning his equipment as he is on a dive boat or near the water... Another guy will give it a quick rince, throw it in a pile and be underwater again as soon as possible. Both excellent divers.

Regards,
Cameron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom