When you travel to dive do you do anything else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H287SureITeachMonkeys.jpg

Is that Ubud Bob? Looks awfully like the Monkey Forest. I'm going over to Bali in a weeks, and I'll be spending 5 nights in Ubud between doing my AOW in Tulamben and heading out to Nusa Lebongen in the last few days of the trip. I've got a couple of nights booked in Mushroom Bay, hoping to get on a boat out to Manta Point if the conditions are good. My girlfriend can't dive, so I'm making sure I still allow plenty of snorkelling and sightseeing time so we're actually on holidays together. It'd be a bit much for me to take the missus to Indonesia for a fortnight then just leave her on the beach the whole time.

And I will be making my third visit to play with the Monkeys.

I went to Coco View once and felt trapped..never again. I try to do as much as I can, above and below.

I recently spent a week in Coz and a week on the Yucatan seeing Pyramids, Merida, etc.( we did sneak in a cenote) When we told several ppl at our resort in Coz of our travel plans in Yucatan, their reply was "is that safe?" and "aren't you afraid?" I just don't get some ppl?
I can't imagine going to places like Thailand, Egypt, Tahiti or Bali and not taking in the culture and sites!

I never get tired of visiting the islands. Although I spend a lot of time diving during my trips, I always find time to enjoy the local culture, the beaches and the view. I think a good balance of both is what I'm always trying to achieve :)

Is that Ubud Bob? Looks awfully like the Monkey Forest. I'm going over to Bali in a weeks, and I'll be spending 5 nights in Ubud between doing my AOW in Tulamben and heading out to Nusa Lebongen in the last few days of the trip. I've got a couple of nights booked in Mushroom Bay, hoping to get on a boat out to Manta Point if the conditions are good. My girlfriend can't dive, so I'm making sure I still allow plenty of snorkelling and sightseeing time so we're actually on holidays together. It'd be a bit much for me to take the missus to Indonesia for a fortnight then just leave her on the beach the whole time.

And I will be making my third visit to play with the Monkeys.

Yup ... it's Ubud ... and that monkey was awfully disappointed I wanted to chat instead of feeding him a banana ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Were it up to me, I'd probably almost exclusively dive, because I enjoy it more than most anything else I could likely do there.

I like nature activities - rainforest walks, seeing & climbing atop Mayan ruins in Belize, a boat ride up New River in Belize and seeing crocodiles, those are fun things. But if I had to give up dives to do them, weeeell...

Now, 'culture' tends to be something I find mildly interesting. If I were in the neighborhood of Big Ben, the Taj Mahal, Leaning Tower of Pisa, etc..., yes, I'd want to go look at it. Not sure I'd miss a day of diving over it, though. My main dive buddy is well-traveled and interested in cultural things. He's a people person and I'm an introvert, though.

I like the idea of extended vacations so one can do a week of diving and get in some land tours, too.

Since I generally don't travel alone, I make some allowances for what other people want to do. That's why I've gone upriver & walked through the jungle in Belize but haven't dove it (cruise ship stop).

Richard.

Were it up to me, I'd probably almost exclusively dive, because I enjoy it more than most anything else I could likely do there.

I like nature activities - rainforest walks, seeing & climbing atop Mayan ruins in Belize, a boat ride up New River in Belize and seeing crocodiles, those are fun things. But if I had to give up dives to do them, weeeell...

Now, 'culture' tends to be something I find mildly interesting. If I were in the neighborhood of Big Ben, the Taj Mahal, Leaning Tower of Pisa, etc..., yes, I'd want to go look at it. Not sure I'd miss a day of diving over it, though. My main dive buddy is well-traveled and interested in cultural things. He's a people person and I'm an introvert, though.

I like the idea of extended vacations so one can do a week of diving and get in some land tours, too.

Since I generally don't travel alone, I make some allowances for what other people want to do. That's why I've gone upriver & walked through the jungle in Belize but haven't dove it (cruise ship stop).

Richard.

My thinking is very similar, in fact I will not go anywhere I cannot dive. A weekend trip I'm ok with but if I'm paying larger sums of money to travel or an overseas trip then it's to a diving destination.

I like to have a plan B just in case my ears go wonky half way through a trip, ruined a couple of my trips in the past and one reason I really won't book a liveaboard anymore.

It's good to soak up some local culture too to expand the mind and also appreciate some of live's luxuries back home.

I think it is a good idea to leave land activities for the end of the dive trip. That way if you get blown out or can"t dive for any reason, you can just pull forward the land activity, and dive on the last day, making sure you keep your 18-24 hour surface interval before flying of course.

Yes so far I only done these separately but from now on I plan to Dive then go fly fishing

My trips take on two different flavors

1. Work trips where i try to get away long enough to see the sights of the area and do some photography. Lately I have been fortunate enough to be forced to spend long periods of time in Melbourne FL. On these trips I have been Abel to get in several days of diving.

2. Vacation trips. Since I am accompanied on these by my wife (who won't even get her face wet when "swimming") I try to schedule cultural land based activities (she does most of the planning) as well as diving activities. I try to space the diving out enough that my wife doesn't feel like I am ignoring her.

I really enjoy photographing places I visit and seeing what the area has to offer so it works out well for all of us.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom