When you travel to dive do you do anything else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How do the majority of you treat your diving? Is it the only reason you go? Do you divide your time more equally? Have you been to enough islands that they now all look alike and you just go to dive?

Interested to hear how this board approaches the hobby.

Probably like most people, it's a little of both. The diving is the main reason for going in the first place. In other words, I probably would not normally have ventured to many of the destinations I have been to if I did not dive. But, since I'm already there, I definitely get out and explore everything I can when I'm not diving. I cannot imagine traveling to some exotic destination and then only dive or sit in the hotel, but I know some people do do that.

My favorite thing is pick a new destination that has many areas to explore spread out over a large area, plan for a longer overall stay, and split the total time between multiple islands/cities/hotels/etc within the same general trip. Things start feeling the same after about the 5th or 6th day anyway. So, spending the first 5 days at one spot, and then moving to another location for the next 5 days, and so on, helps keep things fresh. It almost feels like taking multiple vacations back-to-back.

I am the only diver among the people I usually travel with so I split my time 50/50. I dive in the morning and hang with the family in the afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom