When to use different EANx Mixes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you can use EAN32 like air but you set your computer for it, you aren't using it like air any more. And you are placing your complete trust in an electronic device which could fail.

Most people dive with a buddy who's also got a computer set for the Nitrox, & using the same blend. You'd have to dive pretty intensively to get into trouble over oxygen buildup per the table.

If you stay too long, or go a little too deep, come back up. Usually just getting shallower will add some dive time for you when using a computer. If it's really worrying you, do your 15' 3" safety stop & call the dive.

We trust in dive tables like they were written in stone. Computer algorithms aren't all that different.

If you use a standard mix like EAN 32, you don't have to calculate MOD.

Richard.

Teejay, I think I understand your concern... but you need to understand just how Nitrox is actually used... and it is much simpler than you might think...

First is the fact that most divers using Nitrox have a Nitrox computer. All the tables and data are built into it. It could break... and you would have to abort that dive, but you could loose your tables... there really is not much difference.

Second, everywhere I have been, they use standard mixes, depending on the depths, but I would guess 32% is the most common. So now you have both a computer (with built in table) and a plastic table...

Third, You need to understand the scale and trends associated with the gas... not the exact down to the micrometer numbers.

If you are diving to 60 ft with 32%, do you need to worry about the MOD? The CNS total? With that gas at that depth, all you need to worry about is your no deco time... Clearly, if you are going deeper, if the mix is richer, you do, but both the computer and the tables can tell you when to be concerns.

For the record, in the last two years, the highest I have had my CNS level at the end of a dive, was using 36% for both dives... with the following details:

First dive...55 minutes @ a max depth of 84 ft..47 minute surface interval, followed by:

Second dive....85 minutes @ a max depth of 56 ft..

At that point, I had a CNS % of 38%, which is the highest I have ever been.... including 5- 8 dives per day with 32% in the dry tortuga's.

MODs don't require math...both tables and computers will show the value..but if you want to do the math... you will know the right answer before you start.

So what if they give you 33%.... or 37%. It is just not that hard to get the value (92 ft for the 37% @ 1.4) because 33 is a bit less that 32 and 37 is a bit less than 36%..

Now, if you want to push the envelop.. and dive exactly to 1.4.. or say 1.6... and you want to do lots of dives.. then you would need to spend a bit of time making sure everything is done correctly.

well, ya know... I did read the manual. I read it until I thought I understood it. Then I took the class. If reading the manual would bridge the deficiencies, if it would make me confident that I could calculate PPO and MOD without errrors, I wouldn't be so off EAN diving at this point.

EAN diving contains enough risk that it's uncomfortable for me, unless I am completely in mastery of the subject. Being an inland diver, it's rare that I have a reason to go deep enough to use nitrox. And my steel 120's give me 1.5-2 hours bottom time already, on plain air. The time when I would benefit from nitrox would be when i go on vacation and dive wrecks and such. And/or don't have my 120's with me. Vacation happens once or twice a year. And this is not often enough to remember how to calculate EAN dives, or even remember the formulas involved.

If you can use EAN32 like air but you set your computer for it, you aren't using it like air any more. And you are placing your complete trust in an electronic device which could fail. If you don't know where you are on the map of oxygen toxicity, what are you going to do if there is an incident and you have to change your plan on the fly? When i was in class, I frequently wondered if EAN divers took their tables with them underwater. If you accidentally stayed a little long or went a little deep, what do you do?

Yeah, I'm kinda put off EAN. I can easier deal with being bent or air embolism or most anything else other than having a convulsion underwater. I've seen enough and read enough to understand the risk of dying is real in this sport that I love. It just doesn't seem worth it to me, to increase that risk for an extra 10 minutes bottom time.

Pufferfish:

I like how you laid it out. I can understand him being leery of pushing the limits with custom mixes and so forth; I'd just hate to see him miss out on, oh, say, someday using the (often free Nitrox upgrade with the dive package) EAN 32 for a week of diving at Bonaire, or perhaps EAN 32 on a live-aboard.

Now if I were going to use something unusual, like EAN 40%, or deliberately push the limits quite a bit, I'd go find my manual and refresh myself.

Richard.

Pufferfish:

I like how you laid it out. I can understand him being leery of pushing the limits with custom mixes and so forth; I'd just hate to see him miss out on, oh, say, someday using the (often free Nitrox upgrade with the dive package) EAN 32 for a week of diving at Bonaire, or perhaps EAN 32 on a live-aboard.

Now if I were going to use something unusual, like EAN 40%, or deliberately push the limits quite a bit, I'd go find my manual and refresh myself.

Richard.

Thanks Richard...only time I use air, is if that is all that is available, or the dive is so shallow, it does not matter. And I am with you on using it trips.

How common is it that EAN divers all have their own air checking devices? That's something else that sortof put me off. If I dive EAN a couple of times a year, I am loathe to spend the bucks on that device. The class I took of course, advocated having your own device to make sure you're getting what you expect.

I am such a barnacle. I feel so out of date here. I was certified in 1982. I bought the first deco meter ever made, the big scubapro thing you strapped to your arm that was supposed to simulate nitrogen in human tissue. Dove intensively for a couple of years. Logged over 100 dives i guess, in that time. Then life got in the way and I didn't dive again until this last year.

Everything has changed. Including me. I couldn't believe how divers blindly rely on an electronic device without double checking against tables. And the octopus is a very rare sight these days, people opting for other things. And carrying pony bottles. And mixed gas! You know, when I learned, they told me that only commercial divers used mixed gas and those people were not known for their longevity. Heh. I had entertained thoughts about being a commercial diver right up to that point.

I keep taking classes right now, throwing money at my discomfort with the diving protocols of today. And getting absolutely nowhere. I have a stack of plastic that's not worth very much imo. The last class I took, solo diving, was extremely beneficial though. Not because i learned a single thing about solo diving, but because I met a guy, a dive instructor type, who offered to dive with me. We've been diving at least once a week, sometimes two days a week. And that's been the best thing for me starting to feel a bit comfortable with stuff. I feel so fortunate to have met him. Every week he teaches me a bit about something that I didn't pick up because ya know... we didn't have safety sausages in 1982. Adv Open Water didn't cover them because i guess you were supposed to learn about them in the beginner class.

Anyway, I rambled a bit. But perhaps you understand my situation a little better. I appreciate your attempts to displace my discomfort with knowledge. Perhaps this is just another situation where I need to start working with it and make it familiar to dispel the fear.

teejay, most divers like you do NOT have their own oxygen analyzers, in my experience. If you do local diving and you drop off your tanks for a Nitrox fill or rent shop tanks containing Nitrox, there should be an analyzer provided at the filling station so that you can analyze the gas and complete the log. And if you are on a boat that has Nitrox fills available on board, there should also be an analyzer available for you to use. When you might need your own personal one is if somebody else, such a dive buddy, delivers tanks of Nitrox to you and perhaps has checked the fill when s/he picked up the tanks but you weren't present.

You can't be that much of a barnacle if you've found us here at SB and have successfully posted your question! "Back in the day" there wasn't any online community you could turn to to find information and vectors to yet more in-depth information.

How common is it that EAN divers all have their own air checking devices? That's something else that sortof put me off. If I dive EAN a couple of times a year, I am loathe to spend the bucks on that device. The class I took of course, advocated having your own device to make sure you're getting what you expect.

I am such a barnacle. I feel so out of date here. I was certified in 1982. I bought the first deco meter ever made, the big scubapro thing you strapped to your arm that was supposed to simulate nitrogen in human tissue. Dove intensively for a couple of years. Logged over 100 dives i guess, in that time. Then life got in the way and I didn't dive again until this last year.

Everything has changed. Including me. I couldn't believe how divers blindly rely on an electronic device without double checking against tables. And the octopus is a very rare sight these days, people opting for other things. And carrying pony bottles. And mixed gas! You know, when I learned, they told me that only commercial divers used mixed gas and those people were not known for their longevity. Heh. I had entertained thoughts about being a commercial diver right up to that point.

I keep taking classes right now, throwing money at my discomfort with the diving protocols of today. And getting absolutely nowhere. I have a stack of plastic that's not worth very much imo. The last class I took, solo diving, was extremely beneficial though. Not because i learned a single thing about solo diving, but because I met a guy, a dive instructor type, who offered to dive with me. We've been diving at least once a week, sometimes two days a week. And that's been the best thing for me starting to feel a bit comfortable with stuff. I feel so fortunate to have met him. Every week he teaches me a bit about something that I didn't pick up because ya know... we didn't have safety sausages in 1982. Adv Open Water didn't cover them because i guess you were supposed to learn about them in the beginner class.

Anyway, I rambled a bit. But perhaps you understand my situation a little better. I appreciate your attempts to displace my discomfort with knowledge. Perhaps this is just another situation where I need to start working with it and make it familiar to dispel the fear.

Interesting. I think you have the concept correct... you really need to understand the technology. It is possible to make mistakes...but there are ways to prevent them, and to know when they are important.

Glad you found someone to dive with, that can mean a lot.

Note: For the record, I started diving in the 60's.

You can get an analyzer that you build yourself for 100 bucks and it works well. I also would never trust my buddy to have his comp set to the same mix I'm using. I'd also never dive a mix without analyzing it myself. To not do so is stupid and ranks right up there with "trust me dives". Things that make ya go HMMMMM! And run away from those people.

Most people dive with a buddy who's also got a computer set for the Nitrox, & using the same blend. You'd have to dive pretty intensively to get into trouble over oxygen buildup per the table.

If you stay too long, or go a little too deep, come back up. Usually just getting shallower will add some dive time for you when using a computer. If it's really worrying you, do your 15' 3" safety stop & call the dive.

We trust in dive tables like they were written in stone. Computer algorithms aren't all that different.

If you use a standard mix like EAN 32, you don't have to calculate MOD.

Richard.

Maybe not but if you don't know how to do it then you should not be diving Nitrox.

Back
Top Bottom