When to use closed fins vs open fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am trying to pare down my checked baggage weight for future trips to the Caribbean

I have been using my Mares SuperChannel open fins with with dive boots but they weigh about 4 lbs. more than my Oceanic Caribe closed fins with a very lightweight Pinnacle bootie (for traction when getting back on the dive deck).

What are some general rules for using each type of fin and would I be compromising any safety factors using the lighter fins, like in current diving?

Any advice will be appreciated,

Sy

I may be a little biased since I live and dive and South Florida but I think that closed heel fins are the way to go unless you have a specific need for open-heel. I wear closed fins year round here and they are great. I do a lot of spearfishing so I dive with long blade fins (freedive fins) current is not an issue with these and they would probably be overkill for a "sight seeing" dive.
BTW the coldest water I dove in this year was 68 and my feet got a little cold. Booties would have been nice that day.

It depends on where you are diving... do you need to take a walk to get in and out of the water? are you walking on rocks? sand?

I use open fins and boots to protect my feet because I mainly dive in rocky shores and I´m a big boy, so even when diving from a boat, my feet hurts going up the ladder if the steps are narrow and I´m not wearing boots.

I sell both so there is no bias between the two. Generally I would agree with Fl-Diver, closed heel are the way to go, but having had first hand experience with the Caribe, I don't think I would want to rely on it's strength for any strong currents. I personally prefer the Volo Race (Closed Heel) if you want to upgrade.

I like boots and fins no matter what the dive conditions are. If you are doing any diving that you need to walk, you definitely want your boots along. Once your equipment is on walking any distance challenges your feet. The boots and fins help keep you warmer and have more power too. In the end there are no rules except for personal preference. The weight issues have become a problem! UGH! Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom