When to start DIR training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My instructor said the same thing to me regarding doubles, and recommended that I do fundies in a single tank setup, which I am happy to comply with.

From all the advice I have received, unless you are already hundreds of dives into doubles diving, staying with singles will really allow you the best conditions to hone your skills before upgrading. Despite the awesomeness that is double the gas, I am happy I've had such good advice and I will be staying in singles for awhile. I think (and hope) it will make me a much better diver in the long run.

Last edited:
I already posted that I thought that GUE should mandate an Essentials/Primer-level course in a single tank which was entirely an instruction-based workshop, with no pass/provisional and a diver could only fail if they were totally unsafe.

So, I'll just echo the recommendation to take Essentials/Primer/Fundies in a single tank first, before going for the doubles tech pass to future technical training.

I already posted that I thought that GUE should mandate an Essentials/Primer-level course in a single tank which was entirely an instruction-based workshop, with no pass/provisional and a diver could only fail if they were totally unsafe.

So, I'll just echo the recommendation to take Essentials/Primer/Fundies in a single tank first, before going for the doubles tech pass to future technical training.

Would you recommend that they eschew the can light too (dealing with the cord etc. as well as doubles for the first time definitely boosted the task loading for me, but I did it that way deliberately), or do you think passive/active light signaling is so integral that you should start with it from day one, even though it's not required for a rec pass?

Guy

Even though this wasn't directed at me, I will let you in on my logic for taking the class with a canister light.

I put a lot of thought into using a can light. I know it will increase task loading a bit, but I think in the end it is one of those things that I should start to learn with, because I will use it for the rest of my diving career. While diving doubles doesn't necessarily make skills different diving with a can light does, because for some things you need to be concerned about the cord and hose interaction.

So my reasoning is that, since I own a can light, and will dive with it from now on, I should learn how to be a safe diver and learn how to masterfully execute skills while diving with it.

Its DIR too, because you should only dive with what you need and nothing more. I need the light to increase my enjoyment, but I dont necessarily need the doubles (at least not at my level). So I try and stay minimalist with my training ideals too.

Would you recommend that they eschew the can light too (dealing with the cord etc. as well as doubles for the first time definitely boosted the task loading for me, but I did it that way deliberately), or do you think passive/active light signaling is so integral that you should start with it from day one, even though it's not required for a rec pass?

YMMV.

I was diving with a can light almost from day #1, so I got used to it and when I took fundies the first time (in a single tank around dive #25), it was useful for me to practice managing both the light cord and the long hose and upped the task loading appropriately.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend taking fundies the day after you buy a can light.

Oh, and obviously if the can light is getting in the way you can always stow it and practice without it a bit, before re-introducing it. You can't 'stow' doubles in the middle of a dive to reduce your task loading.

LOL! drdrdiver I love you .sig... that is too funny :)

Thanks! I wish i didnt have them:( but my dive buddies have been super helpful in making the only fins i use the non-special ones and my feet more stoic and less openly happy. :D

I just recently finished my advanced open water and nitrox certs with padi and I was thinking about doing a gue fundies course next, but I also want to do rescue... should i do rescue with padi first, does gue have their own equivalent of this, or should i just go straight into the gue fundies course... i feel very comfortable in the water so far but i really think the level of instruction with padi is seriously lacking and i don't want to develop bad habits just because I never was shown the proper way

I just recently finished my advanced open water and nitrox certs with padi and I was thinking about doing a gue fundies course next, but I also want to do rescue... should i do rescue with padi first, does gue have their own equivalent of this, or should i just go straight into the gue fundies course... i feel very comfortable in the water so far but i really think the level of instruction with padi is seriously lacking and i don't want to develop bad habits just because I never was shown the proper way

Properly taught, I believe Rescue to be one of the most useful classes any mainstream agency offers. However, if you feel that your instruction so far has been lacking, then I would question whether your Rescue class will be properly taught ... assuming you're planning to take it from the same instructor.

Therefore I would say take the Fundies class first. Then, at least, you will have a more solid platform on which to build your continuing education.

Bad habits are always way more difficult to correct than they are to learn ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom