When to go to Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been to Coz several times and there is no bad time. My last trip was in Feb 2004. we got rained out 1 day out of 10 and the rest was wonderful. I prefer to go to the resorts becasue they are right on the dive spots and have a good reputation for dive masters. Of all the places I have been ( many ) Coz is probably the best all round dive spot. JT

rufous:
Dandy Don, what trip insurance do you use? Thanks, Rufous.

Oh, I use Access America, Ph 1-800-284-8300. I guess they're okay...?

rufous:
I have read some of the recent posts about Cozumel not being a good choice for new divers. I am in contact with Allison Dennis and would most likely dive with her if we do go. I have told her that we are new divers and from all I have heard of her she is a great teacher and very safe. Anyway I wonder if you all could advise me as to when it would be best to go as far as the weather and quality of diving goes during the time span of late November through end of February (I want to go to warm Mexico during our cold spell). I have heard that December/January can be bad because of the north winds creating rougher seas, stronger currents and possibly poorer visibility. So I am thinking about early February. I appreciate any comments you have, Brian.

First of all, welcome to the board! :)

Second, Allison gets really good reviews, especially from new divers, so you'll be fine there.

Third, the others are right--there really is no BAD time to go to Cozumel, weather-wise. Winter months there is more risk of a norte blowing in for a day or 2, summer months there is more rain, humidity and mosquitos. It's the tropics--weather is always a crapshoot and no one can predict how it will be at any given time. I've been during Feb, April, May, June, Aug, Oct and Nov and would go back during any of those times, especially if I got a great deal!

Speaking of price, that should be more of a concern than the weather. High season kicks in around mid-Dec and lasts through April/May--hotels go up, airfare goes up. Business is definitely picking up on Coz--FINALLY--but as Crispos pointed out, you can find good deals on the hotels in town. You can get cheaper prices in Nov and beginning of December, then everything will go up, so it just depends on what you're wanting to spend.

So call your agent, find a deal and go have fun! :)

My wife and I have been to Cozumel the past two years in a row, travelling the first week of January. We have no complaints. water temp is still 80 or so degrees, even at depth. You are right about visibility though, it did seem to be only about 120 feet or so...:D

Taucher:
My wife and I have been to Cozumel the past two years in a row, travelling the first week of January. We have no complaints. water temp is still 80 or so degrees, even at depth. You are right about visibility though, it did seem to be only about 120 feet or so...

You poor thing! How did you EVER manage with viz of only 120 feet? I'd ask for my money back! ;^)

A couple of years ago were were diving the south end and there was a lot of wave action on the beaches around the point that was kicking up a lot of fine sand. The viz was down to about 30-40 feet and everyone was complaining, which pointed out to us just how spoiled we are to prevailing conditions at Cozumel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom