When to dive out of Cairns & Liveaboard ?s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

winedog

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

Was wondering what time(s) of the year are best for diving out of the Cairns area (Great Barrier reef or other locations in that region).

How is the water in July?

Also, I would be interested in doing a 2-3 day liveaboard dive trip in that region. Can anyone make any recommendations?

Thanks!

I went a couple of years ago, we were gone for about 3 weeks. We went in the end of June and beginning of July. We used a charter arranged on-line through Pro-Dive for a Quicksilver boat called Diversity. It was a 5 night charter. I tried to hook up with the Mike Ball op but they said they were booked when I made reservations. When we arrived in Cairns, we could have had several liveboards to choose from including Mike Ball who had plenty of room on their boat. Since I was already booked we did not choose another. The rate discount that we could have had would have reduced the price in a sgnificant way, 30 to 50% less - but how do you know this ahead of time?
We wanted to be assured that we would have a liveaboard and that we would get to Osprey reef as well as Cod Hole. It worked out for us since Aus. is along ways away and we didn't want to chance it.
The water was 82F in the most northern area that we went and 77F in the most southernly, you would want to prepare for the difference with more wet suit. Sometimes the water can really be rough in July but we had calm waters the whole trip.
There was plenty to do in Cairns and Port Douglas besides diving.

Was there in November. Lots of choices. If you are going to be there for a couple of weeks and only want to do a 3 day liveaboard I would suggest booking while you are there. You can save 30 to 50%.

I did Mike Ball Fly/Dive Cod Hole. Fabulous trip. Sea was like glass, one evening rain.

Taka was my fist choice but was full.

Am told that summer can be stormy with heavy seas, but would check this info.

If you are looking for a place to stay that is quiet with a fabulous beach try Palm Cove. For serious partying Cairns, for a little more relaxed, but party town Port Douglas. My serious partying days are behind me so Palm Cove was perfect, we went for four days and stayed two weeks. My second choice would be Port Douglas, if I was 20 something Cairns would be first.

For a longer more expensive trip PNG is supposed to be spectacular. This is on my "if I can get back to OZ" list. (Probably next October/November)

For more local info try diveoz.com.au

I went on a liveaboard in july 2003 with pro dive in cairns, we went to various sites around milln & flynn reefs. The boat and food were great, the reefs pristine and there were no other boats around. The weather was idyllic, flat calm seas and the vis was great.

I would tend to avoid any trips that go to norman reef, i did a liveaboard with down under dive and we were stuck at the same site for 3 days and 2 nights, there were lots of other dive boats and the great adventures pontoon nearby. the reef is taking quite a hammering (too many divers) and you can see the damage from too many fins bashing up the coral.

I went to Cod Hole and Osprey reef in March 2005 with Taka. I got to Cairns the same time that cyclone ingrid struck. I had a week to spare before the trip but sadly all the day trips out of Cairns were cancelled. Taka is a brand new vessel and the boat, crew and food were great. The visibility was not that great but the cod feed and the shark feed at osprey were outstanding. The crossing to Osprey and back from cod hole takes about 10 hours and the crossing is very rough, probably because of the cyclone. Im just glad i dont get sea sick. there were only 12 passengers on that trip
and it was very relaxing.

The liveaboards going straight out of Cairns (to Norman, Hastings, Saxon reefs etc) are all much of a muchness in my view. They tend to go to most of the same reefs which are ok but nothing special.

Try to get one which goes North out of Cairns up to the Cod Hole (or the Coral Sea if you have longer). The reefs are much better. Taka, as others have already recomended, are excellent. There are really good stand-by rates available when you get there. Just go to any of the tour booking agencies around town - of which there are dozens who all guarantee to beat the others prices. But the downside of waiting till you get there is that there is the risk of the boat/dates you want being full.

Am sure you will have a great trip.

Hi there,

I did a trip on the Spirit of Freedom late last June. We went up into the Coral Sea and the diving was great. Water temperature was fine, around 25 or 26C and a 5mm suite adequate.

The only downside was the rather bumpy trip out and back on the boat. It can get rough, but this was open ocean...

Read more here.
http://www.zerovisibility.co.uk/Reports/CoralSeaSpiritofFreedomJune05.htm

Pictures here:
http://www.zerovisibility.co.uk/Gallery/GBR3/index.html

Hope this helps!
Mark.

I dove out of Cairns in late March and enjoyed the diving. Wish I had done the Coral Sea trip instead of the GBR, but I didn't have time to do both.

Back
Top Bottom