When to buy the Teric, and Other Dive Computer Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OctoHelm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello Scubaboard!

I hope this finds you all safe, healthy and in good spirits during these challenging times.

If you have seen my other post recently, you may know that I am on the path to fundies and then T1. I need a dive computer in general, and I want one that I can use for fundies and T1. I am currently set on the Shearwater Teric. I like the form factor, as well as the sharp screen and customizability options. The screen size is not really an issue as my vision is still good.

My main question is, should I get the Teric now, and use it as my primary computer, or should I get a cheap computer now, and upgrade later?

I am planning on just getting the Teric now and using it for all of my diving, but I would love some input on what you all think about it. I tried the Perdix, but its interface felt a bit finnicky to me when compared to the Teric. I like how you can press the buttons compared to just tapping them.

Is there anything that I should know about the Teric?

As always, I am open to any comments, questions or feedback that any of you have.

Thank you very much, and please stay safe and healthy! Safe diving!

Respectfully,

OctoHelm

in your other thread @CheckedBubbles was piping in and has just recently completed T1. It is likely that you will be required to use gauge mode in the Shearwater, and with GUE the transmitters are most certainly not allowed, nor would the digital compass.

I don't think the Teric is the right answer. In a drysuit the form factor doesn't matter, and you won't be leveraging all of its capabilities. I think with your current diving, and diving goals with GUE, the Peregrine is actually a much better idea and saves you $600 up front if you buy it new. It won't do trimix, but if you're using gauge mode anyway, it doesn't matter. Other alternative would be a used Perdix/Petrel for around $500-$600 which would allow you to do trimix/CCR if GUE comes out of the dark ages.

On the buttons. You can't really feel them in dry gloves...

@tbone1004 Thanks for that feedback, I appreciate that. So GUE just uses depth and time from the computer then? I will look into the used Perdix or Petrel.

Thanks again!

Respectfully,

OctoHelm

As far as I know, you MAY only be able to use your computer in Gauge Mode during Fundies and T1, but you can definitely use it as an actual computer once you finish your training.

I also believe that with GUE, to dive deeper than 100 feet, even for recreational dives, they'll want you to use helium. I definitely would buy a computer that supports trimix, so you can do even those deeper recreational dives without having to use tables or Ratio Deco or some other nonsense. So, I would definitely not buy a Peregrine.

Buy a computer for the diving you're going to do, not the training. Just make sure it will meet the needs of your training. Which most anything will. I even know GUE divers who *gasp* use AI transmitters - outside of class...

My opinion is, buy a Teric now, if that's what you like. When you move up to tech training and need a second device, buy another tech and trimix-capable computer then. Another Teric or whatever the even newer/better model is at that point. I would MUCH rather dive with 2 tech and trimix-capable computers than one tech/trimix computer and some other device in gauge mode. If my primary fails, I want my backup to be just as capable. Same reason I use the same 2nd stage for both primary and "octo" on even my single tank recreational reg set.

I dive my Terics with both 3mm wet gloves and with dry gloves. I have no problems feeling or working the buttons. Personally, I think they are easier to operate by feel than the buttons on a Predator/Petrel/Perdix. I have a Predator on my CCR and had a Perdix AI (sold it) and a Petrel 2 before that. With those buttons and gloves, I could never feel the buttons, so I would often end up pressing the "button" only to realize my finger wasn't on the actual button, so nothing was happening. The Pxxxx buttons do have the advantage (sarcasm!) that they are easy to press by accident with your dry glove rings or anything else that might be on the same forearm. I personally know 2 people who had accidental gas switches performed on their Pxxxx without them knowing it, thanks to unintentional button presses.

Some folks have reported battery issues with the Teric. While Shearwater is great about fixing them, the timing of being without your computer might be inconvenient. You may also find the need to recharge the Teric inconvenient at times, which might make you glad to have a cheap backup computer in your bag that just always works. Plus there might be some situations--liveaboards, solo (shhhh! Don't tell your GUE instructor!) when you might like to have two computers. All these are reasons I didn't get rid of my Cressi Leonardo after I bought my Teric. But I gotta be honest; right now a friend is borrowing my Leonardo because of his battery issues with his (different make/model) computer, and I haven't really felt the lack.

Some folks have reported battery issues with the Teric. While Shearwater is great about fixing them, the timing of being without your computer might be inconvenient. You may also find the need to recharge the Teric inconvenient at times, which might make you glad to have a cheap backup computer in your bag that just always works. Plus there might be some situations--liveaboards, solo (shhhh! Don't tell your GUE instructor!) when you might like to have two computers. All these are reasons I didn't get rid of my Cressi Leonardo after I bought my Teric. But I gotta be honest; right now a friend is borrowing my Leonardo because of his battery issues with his (different make/model) computer, and I haven't really felt the lack.

Both of my Terics had the "battery issue". Suggesting that one might be particularly inconvenienced by that is a bit of a stretch.

The issue is/was that they would only hold a charge for, say, 1 month, instead of the 6 months that they should. There is no reason you should ever be without your Teric when you need it - unless you can never find a week in your schedule where you COULD be without it. And even if you can never be without it for a whole week, well, that just means you will have to charge it every 2 or 3 days, instead of once a week.

I took mine on a 1 week liveaboard. Because of the "battery issue", I did charge the one I was using once during the middle of the week, just to make SURE I didn't run out of battery during a day of diving later in the week. But, it may possibly have actually lasted the whole week without needing to charge it. I don't know. I had no reason to try to push the limits.

I sent both of mine off at separate times. Both times, my Priority Mail package took about 2 days to get to Dive-Tronix. They took approximately 1 day to fix it and get it in the mail back to me, and I got it back 2 days later. So, a 1 week turnaround, without even using expensive shipping.

And on top of all that, current production Terics should not have this issue at all. It's my understanding that it was just a bad batch of batteries that Shearwater got from their supplier early in their production. I got both my Terics soon after they came out.

One thing to note about Shearwater service, if you simply can't be without your computer, they will send you a loaner.

At least in the US and Canada, not sure how well it works internationally.

Granted I wish Shearwater didn't have the battery issues with the Teric, and were more open about it so people can know when to send their computers in.

My T1 was almost 2 years ago so I wouldn't call it "just recently" but I guess it's all relative. In GUE training you will be using just depth and time and running profiles generated using DecoPlanner (with some ratio-deco-esque knowledge for on the fly adjustments). Ratio deco is no longer taught as a primary deco strategy. Post-class you can do whatever you want, even run an AI transmitter if you're into that sort of thing. I personally don't find checking my SPG every 10 minutes or so to be problematic enough to warrant the extra failure points/batteries but some folks like the extra data which I can appreciate.

I wouldn't recommend a Peregrine if you are planning on getting involved with helium. I like that the Perdix is bigger than the Teric and the buttons are harder to cross-press, but I've never used a Teric in the water. Yeah, the piezo buttons feel kinda weird on land but it is much less weird with gloves on while diving. I haven't experienced any phantom gas switches, but I have had unintentional button presses so I believe it's possible. I'm also going CCR 1 in a few months, and I like that the Perdix has the same UI as the Petrel, so I can just focus on the CC specific-stuff.

Shearwater customer service is awesome. My first Perdix flooded after about 1.5 years of ownership (most likely due to a small drop de-seating the display seal) and Shearwater rebuilt it for free.

@CheckedBubbles everything is relative :p

I've had phantom button presses, but with the sequence required to change gases, I think it's practically impossible to have it switch gases. I've never heard of one before.

Good afternoon, @stuartv!

Thank you so much for replying. I like how you mention that I may be able to use my Teric as a gauge, but that after training I could use it as a computer. Talking over this reminded me of when I learned to drive last year. There is the DMV world, and then there is the real world. In the DMV world, you need to stop far enough behind the car in front of you so that you can see their wheels, but in the real world, sometimes drivers don't follow that. I feel like it is the same with GUE. In the GUE world, we plan our dives out before we dive and we use our computers in gauge mode, but in the real world, GUE divers use their computers like dive computers.

With trimix, Rec 2 gets me on to hyperoxic trimix on dives to 100 feet, so getting a trimix enabled computer seems like a smart move. Thank you so much for the advice!!

Hello again, @CheckedBubbles!

It's good to know that I am free to use my dive computer as a dive computer after fundies and T1. That is very helpful to know.

Also, it is confidence inspiring to hear that Shearwater has top notch customer service. I called them and a human actually picked up! That never happens nowadays unfortunately.

Thank you so much to everyone who has already replied!

Respectfully,

OctoHelm

Back
Top Bottom