When To Buy Equipment ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubee-do-be-do

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all -

Newly certified OW diver in atlanta. Hope to make several jaunts down to the caribbean to dive in the near future. Loving the sport so far.

Here is a question on when to buy equipment. I know as 'new' I should wait to buy equipment, check out all the options etc.... go rent several times, see what's good, etc.

BUT, it seems to me that if you get your own stuff and start (practicing) and diving with it as soon as possible, you could used to it and be safer because you WERE used to it. You'd have the same equipment every time.. and know it better.

But if you rent lets say, several times in the next year I doubt that you will be renting very good quality gear. I doubt you would be renting travel size bc's to see what they are like.... or the I-3 BC and the zeagle stilletto BC and many others that people think are good products.

Seems like you would spend more dollars, having different "rental quality" BC's ..... and a different one every time. Doubt you would be renting the good stuff. Dollars that could be a waste of money, that you could apply to equipment of your own.

One thing that comes to mind is a couple that rented instead of bringing thier own BC's and they had trouble removing air from their bc's.. some of the same problems (I wound up using my dump valves sometimes)

I want to be patient. but it seems like there are negatives as well to this.

Are these thoughts valid or am I way off base?

If your budget allows for it, research BCDs/regs, try them out, and then make the purchase.
Bear in mind that the cost of servicing regs is not insignificant. If you are only diving once a year on a dive trip, it might make economic sense just to rent.

FWIW, I've seen the condition of rental equipment range from "new" to "super-crappy." A careful diver interested in renting good quality gear would call ahead and ask about the make/model/condition of the rental gear. At least, that's what I'd do.

The vast majority of divers don't know how to do comprehensive, functional pre-dive checks on their BCDs and regs. For those people, it would probably be best to buy their own equipment and travel with it so that they know the maintenance history of the equipment they're using. Most of the complaints I hear from others about malfunctioning rental gear is stuff that would have easily been picked up by a pre-dive check. Something to think about, eh?

Whats your budget..

I am recently certified.. I bought

Scubapro mk 11 c200 (mid entry)
Zeagle brigade for bcd
Mares puck air integrater console..

So far so good...

i too have just started to dive and due to lack of funds and availability of equipment here in south india, i have been using the LDS material ( all in very good condition) we dive in groups of 4-11 and you do not always get the same fins/mask, size of BCD, but i find that after using every few dives some different equipment you get used to adapt quickly see what you would like to get once you do get your equipment.. be patient :)

I think, if owning your own gear is going to get you in the water more often, you should do it early, and accept that you might end up reselling some things and replacing them, as your diving evolves.

But if you are not going to dive locally, no matter what you own, then I don't see the urgency. Spend some time on line reading; visit some dive shops, and maybe rent a time or two. Yes, you are unlikely to rent equipment at a resort that turns out to be what you want to own. On the other hand, if you rush into buying, you could end up with the i3 -- read the "What did you buy that you regret?" thread for things people ended up wishing they hadn't bought.

I have all new kit bought shortly after certification, with some small additions (like fin spring straps) as I went on. You will find most will not describe any real functional differences in some of the gear - for example, buy a reg that is appropriate for cold/ warm water, whatever you will be diving, that can be serviced readily, and that fits your price range. For BCD I chose a back inflate - that vs jacket vs BP/W does make a difference you may want to read up on. Where you will be diving may make a difference for exposure protection - if diving cold, wet vs dry is a valid debate that you may want to try before you buy. A good bit of it all is really just preference (my take after much reading) rather than functionality. There is a lot of good gear out there in all different price ranges. Some judicious reading will tell you clearly what to stay away from, and most of the rest is fair game.

I am happy with my regs (Apeks), my BCD (Seaquest Balance), my wetsuit (NeoSport 7MM john & jacket, lowest temp to date 8C), my fins (Mares Avanti X3), my computer (Oceanic Veo 2.0). I don't think I got lucky, just stuck with good names.

I am happy that I know each time I go diving the dive may be different but the gear isn't. I know where everything is, how it fits, where it attaches, how it behaves. I am getting close to the point where the gear fades into the background and just is, where I don't need to think about it. So I can focus on developing my skills and enjoying the environment.

YMMV

Renting and trying what you have limited experience with
is some of the more naive rambling you will be subjected to
when you can second hand equip yourself with exceptional
gear and go diving for a thousand bucks which if people did
there would be a broader understanding of gear and diving

One approach you might consider in renting is to "attempt" to categorize the items you want to try. For example, BCDs come in a variety of styles such as full jacket, back inflate, harness and wing, etc. If they are available locally you can try one of each of those categories in order to help you figure out which type you prefer. Then you can do deeper research into the specifics of the brand and model. You can do the same thing with fins using split fins versus non split, etc.

One of my driving factors was the overall cost of all the equipment. I tend to not buy low-end gear in anything and the cost of scuba gear can be rather daunting when you first begin to look at it. But as you mentioned, now that I have my own gear I am very used to how it operates and it does add to the comfort zone.

For me personally the first thing I got was my fins mask and snorkel. I got those almost immediately after my first resort dive. A lot of LDS require you to have your own set when going through the OW training. Then after renting a couple variety of BCDs I decided I wanted a back inflate travel BC because of it's light weight and ease of packing it. Then after trying a couple of variety of regs and computers I settled on the brand and model I wanted and made the purchase. Since then I have added additional sets of fins, masks and other goodies and will soon add a harness, backplate and wing style BCD.

i also just got certified, i bought my gear after the pool dive and before my OW.. I wanted to get used to my own gear with instructors around to help out and answer any questions i might have about it... I'm glad I did, a few days after I got my cert, I went out on a charter locally, the rental gear was VERY rough looking, some were missing compasses, just not confidence building gear by any means..

My thoughts are a little different.

1) Gear Purchases is not a one shot deal, its an incurable sickness without end. So the question is when should you start purchasing.

2) Working with rental gear is a good thing. Testing out different brands and types is one small aspect. Struggling with imperfect gear is a learning experience as frustrating as it can be. Sizing is also critical if you are between sizes.

3) Look at you rental circumstances. Renting from an LDS where you can try it on and check it out before a local shore dive is much lower risk than renting from an unknown dive op on a dream vacation.

4) Consider what your expectations are for gear. If you want to have the absolute perfect, best ever gear, it will take a lot longer to decide than if you are looking for basic gear that gets the job done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom