When to buy a new computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dave1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been diving with my computer for at least 10 yrs and it works great for me. Its an Aeris Elite T3 hoseless setup. Never had trouble with it. Change the batteries every yr even though they do not get that much use.
I dive 2-3 trips per yr with 1-2 weeks diving per trip. One trip is usually a live aboard, sometimes to exotic places.

I use nitrox on nearly every dive. My depths are nothing special. Been to 120-130 ft at the Blue Hole and U-352 but rarely go past 90-100 ft as there is usually no pressing reason to go deeper. I never plan to be a technical diver, never plan on cave or penetration diving.

I do photography and might be considered a photographer that is underwater instead of a diver that photographs. My dive buddies are always new to me each trip so sometimes we are not as close as one might like. Please, not looking for any speeches on new dive buddies or allowed distances. Any long term U/W photographer knows how it is. Unless paired with another serious photographer, few dive partners have the patience/interest to stay close while you work with a subject.

Dive boats generally have a computer available if one fails but of course, you have one dive when it fails and have to deal with it. I would likely be able to find a replacement for rent most places I dive after a failure. There have been trips when this is not true, such as to Indonesia in remote locations but that is not my typical trip.

Sooner or later, computers will fail. Its not like we get computer servicing on the internals like a regulator. So do you replace it before problems? If so, what criteria do you use for WHEN?

Maybe if it doesn't say "Shearwater" on it, it's time to buy another PDC! :D :D :D

If it aint broken, don't replace....

As your eyes get older you might want a different display. Some people(I freely admit to being one) just like new technology for its own sake. How often do you upgrade your camera equipment?

I would keep the one you have and buy another one to use as a backup. I'd probably buy another Oceanic. If the transmitter you are using now is compatible with the new Oceanic computers, buy an AI Oceanic computer without the transmitter.

I have been diving with my computer for at least 10 yrs and it works great for me. Its an Aeris Elite T3 hoseless setup. Never had trouble with it. Change the batteries every yr even though they do not get that much use.
I dive 2-3 trips per yr with 1-2 weeks diving per trip. One trip is usually a live aboard, sometimes to exotic places.

I use nitrox on nearly every dive. My depths are nothing special. Been to 120-130 ft at the Blue Hole and U-352 but rarely go past 90-100 ft as there is usually no pressing reason to go deeper. I never plan to be a technical diver, never plan on cave or penetration diving.

I do photography and might be considered a photographer that is underwater instead of a diver that photographs. My dive buddies are always new to me each trip so sometimes we are not as close as one might like. Please, not looking for any speeches on new dive buddies or allowed distances. Any long term U/W photographer knows how it is. Unless paired with another serious photographer, few dive partners have the patience/interest to stay close while you work with a subject.

Dive boats generally have a computer available if one fails but of course, you have one dive when it fails and have to deal with it. I would likely be able to find a replacement for rent most places I dive after a failure. There have been trips when this is not true, such as to Indonesia in remote locations but that is not my typical trip.

Sooner or later, computers will fail. Its not like we get computer servicing on the internals like a regulator. So do you replace it before problems? If so, what criteria do you use for WHEN?

Always have a back up computer. You can buy one for as low as $250 for a basic wrist computer. I always use my newest one, and have my older one on the boat. I bring battery replacement kits for both. Exotic trips require redundancy, The only thing that has even gone wrong for me with a computer is the battery. Replacing it yearly for you is an excellent idea. I even bring 2 masks as I need corrective lenses. Anything else is rentable. Keep wet!

I'd wait until it dies. Might get another decade or two out of it. Alternatively, I have started buying goods deals on used dive computers as frequently as I see them. Someone always needs one and I like having equipment backup because my diving is unsupported. Use to just use tables. That also works well.

Cheers,
Cameron

Always have a back up computer. You can buy one for as low as $250 for a basic wrist computer. I always use my newest one, and have my older one on the boat. I bring battery replacement kits for both. Exotic trips require redundancy, The only thing that has even gone wrong for me with a computer is the battery. Replacing it yearly for you is an excellent idea. I even bring 2 masks as I need corrective lenses. Anything else is rentable. Keep wet!

When you mean older one on the boat, do you mean not on the dive with you? I think the best use of the backup is to use it while you dive so that if your primary craps out, you can use your backup right away and not skip out on any diving because it will already have your nitrogen load and previous dives on it.

When you mean older one on the boat, do you mean not on the dive with you? I think the best use of the backup is to use it while you dive so that if your primary craps out, you can use your backup right away and not skip out on any diving because it will already have your nitrogen load and previous dives on it.

If it's not the same make and model (or you forget to set the right mix), then you might find your backup is bent into one hundred nazi crosses when you need to use it, and you have no computer for 24 hours. Whereas on the "clean" backup you can up the conservatism to somewhat compensate... It's not optimal either way.

If it's not the same make and model (or you forget to set the right mix), then you might find your backup is bent into one hundred nazi crosses when you need to use it, and you have no computer for 24 hours. Whereas on the "clean" backup you can up the conservatism to somewhat compensate... It's not optimal either way.

Makes total sense. This is why I dive with a backup that is same/similar and recommend one with the same/similar algorithm to avoid this problem altogether.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom