When to book manta dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marcus8

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello, my lady and I will be on the Big Island April 20th for 9 nights. We plan to do a lot of beach diving amongst other activities. But we are looking to treat ourselves to the manta and possibly black water dives one night through a local op. I'm familiar with the dive op options, but am wondering if we need to book in advance or not. I've been thinking I'd like to get down there and chat with other divers and the ops themselves to make sure the mantas are showing while we're there, not to mention where they are appearing. But I'm wondering if that would be a little late in the game. So......should we book something earlier in advance of getting there? Or do you think it'd work out just fine to book on the spot while we're there on the island talking to folks about best options? I don't really have a feel for what the demand is for these sort of trips.

Thanks

Mark

IMO if you want a guaranteed date for a particular dive you should simply book it. Especially since you're going to be there during "spring break season" and you never know how full or available the charters will be.

Keep in mind that just because the mantas show up one night doesn't mean they'll be there the next. You could literally have 15 there one night and 2 the next....

I'd agree with just booking plenty in advance. If you're concerned, book a few nights and just be aware of the cancellation policy. Not to suggest they're miracle workers or anything, but I've never had a no-show while doing the manta dive with Keller from Jack's Diving Locker.

Aloha!
Just be sure that you know the cancellation policy of the shop you are using. For example, we have a 24 hour cancellation policy for the manta dive and a 48 hour cancellation policy for the pelagic magic dive. Most shops will have a 24-72 hour policy.

Have fun!

Angela

I don't dive out of Jack's, but the shop that I do dive with said " Do the Manta Dive with Jack's...They do a nice job"

Back
Top Bottom