When switching to the Hog setup...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DO NOT put the hose around your neck!

it goes behind behind your neck not around....

(I know this is what you meant but you never know... seen some silly people walking around with a hose wrapped around their necks)

How do you put it behind your neck. Do you fold the hose in half and just tuck it? thanks kev

thanks, I looked at this site before and built my regs dir config., however as I looked at the pics there are shots of divers with the long hose wrapped around their necks some appear to have them on the front of the body. I still cant find a shot of the long hose tucked behind the neck. BTW diving Coz recently I saw only 3 long hose configs, all had them wrapped. thanks kev

thanks, I looked at this site before and built my regs dir config., however as I looked at the pics there are shots of divers with the long hose wrapped around their necks some appear to have them on the front of the body. I still cant find a shot of the long hose tucked behind the neck. BTW diving Coz recently I saw only 3 long hose configs, all had them wrapped. thanks kev
I think this is an issue with semantics. And, I agree that the pictures actually do not show the routing as clearly as one would hope - lots of 'stuff' in the upper left picture. Maybe a textual description will help, if I understand your question correctly. The long hose comes off the right side (divers right) of the single first stage (when diving singles) or off the right side/post (divers right) first stage when diving doubles, behind the divers head. The hose is routed down the right side, behind the divers right shoulder, to the right hip area. It is then routed forward, and under some gear item positioned on the web harness on the divers right side (e.g. can light, stiff-back pocket, wreck reel, whatever will keep it secure against the divers hip). It is then routed up and diagionally across the divers front, from the lower right side (waist area) to the upper left side (shoulder area), then around the back of the divers neck, and across the right collarbone, to the divers mouth. So, while it is correct to emphasize that it should not be 'around' your neck, it actually is. The hose starts behind the head on the right and makes essentially a complete loop. Was this the point in question?

You also want to practice not dropping your second stage on the deck when you are setting up :) . This got me a few times when I first started diving the rig. Now I usually clip off the second stage to the right shoulder d-ring before I attach the first stage. I also keep the long hose coiled so it won't unravel unexpectedly when I am setting up.

It is then routed up and diagionally across the divers front, from the lower right side (waist area) to the upper left side (shoulder area), then around the back of the divers neck, and across the right collarbone, to the divers mouth. So, while it is correct to emphasize that it should not be 'around' your neck, it actually is. The hose starts behind the head on the right and makes essentially a complete loop. Was this the point in question?[/quote]

Thank-you, if this is the correct method then I am doing it correctly.

You also want to practice not dropping your second stage on the deck when you are setting up :) . This got me a few times when I first started diving the rig. Now I usually clip off the second stage to the right shoulder d-ring before I attach the first stage. I also keep the long hose coiled so it won't unravel unexpectedly when I am setting up.

Thanks-I was warned about dropping the regs. Always good to be reminded, it's easy to not bother with small rituals sometimes. I guess thats why they are rituals, do them.

I sat in my living room watching TV with my BP on and my dry gloves and practiced clipping and un-clipping my reg and SPG until it was second nature - and as silly as that sounds, it helped a lot.

I see new hog wearers struggling with the clipping in the water, some who are hesitant to check their SPG because of the struggle to re-clip it, primary regs dangling out of the water, loss of focus during air sharing drills due to intense focus on clipping of reg (recipient), etc.

It is exactly like tieing your shoes. The first few times you try it, it feels awkward and difficult and you need your mommy and daddy to help. But with practice, it's so easy you don't even think about it.

I sat in my living room watching TV with my BP on and my dry gloves and practiced clipping and un-clipping my reg and SPG until it was second nature - and as silly as that sounds, it helped a lot.

I see new hog wearers struggling with the clipping in the water, some who are hesitant to check their SPG because of the struggle to re-clip it, primary regs dangling out of the water, loss of focus during air sharing drills due to intense focus on clipping off reg (recipient), etc.

It is exactly like tying your shoes. The first few times you try it, it feels awkward and difficult and you need your mommy and daddy to help. But with practice, it's so easy you don't even think about it.

Practice your clipping.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom