when spring straps break ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

limeyx:
My buddy has had 2 pairs of Halcyon straps go (the pins corrode and come out)
First time he just added a new pin. Now I think he needs different kind of straps altogether.

The Halcyon design is doomed to failure though I think. I did flatten off the top of the pins on the one set of H springs I have and so far have not had them come apart. He didnt flatten them off I think...
If I recall, it's specifically pointed out in the manual that comes with the H straps to flatten the end of the pins so that they don't come undone...chalk another one up for :rtfm: :D

SparticleBrane:
If I recall, it's specifically pointed out in the manual that comes with the H straps to flatten the end of the pins so that they don't come undone...chalk another one up for :rtfm: :D

Not sure. I remember being called "paranoid" by people on this board for doing that though, and people wondering why I'd say the connection point looked like a failure point :)

oh well. I only got the H ones because I needed straps in a hurry and those were all that were available.

EDIT: I am also not certain if he flattened his off -- he may have. From the brief look I got, there was definitely corrosion present.

You seem to be a bad influence on spring straps. :)

In your other thread about going back to coldwater diving, you mentioned your buddy losing a spring strap. What happened with that one??
NWGRatefulDiver:
The dive started rather inauspiciously ... my left dry glove flooded (again!), and Valerie lost a spring strap in the murk while standing in waist-deep water ...

I have some H spring straps but remind me again exactly what is wrong with the rubber straps that came with the Jets to begin with?

N

Charlie99:
You seem to be a bad influence on spring straps. :)

In your other thread about going back to coldwater diving, you mentioned your buddy losing a spring strap. What happened with that one??
She's got a pair of these ...

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/AQUEZP.html

... one of them came off of the posts while we were getting bounced around in the waves.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Nemrod:
I have some H spring straps but remind me again exactly what is wrong with the rubber straps that came with the Jets to begin with?

N
They're not cool enough. :wink:

Personally I like the spring straps because they're secure, but easy to get on/off when I want to.

The original straps were a pain in the arse to get on and off ... and tons of fun to adjust.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

thats true, I couldn't get the SP fins off quickly in rough seas without spring heels.
all those rubber strap systems basically suck.

NWGratefulDiver:
She's got a pair of these ...

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/AQUEZP.html

... one of them came off of the posts while we were getting bounced around in the waves.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
They'll do that. They need to be Zip tied or maybe secured with a cresent washer or something.

Splitlip:
They'll do that. They need to be Zip tied or maybe secured with a cresent washer or something.

Yeah, i have those on my Mares pair and they keep falling off unless tied. An o-ring works well too.

Back
Top Bottom