when spring straps break ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my Full Cave class we did one exit with me and only one fin. Stuff does happen! Of course in the class I was without one of my fins, no lights, and no mask; thankfully all of these "problems" magically fixed themselves near the end of the dive. :)

I have the Halcyon straps on my Jets, but the XS Scuba straps have really nice attachment points and they look to be the most rugged way of putting springs on fins.

Mark Vlahos

Maybe people that like the redundancy thinking could carry the original rubber version in the envelope behind the back plate...

the strings look like a good idea...

My spring heels fit over a big rubber peg and have no failure point, really.

catherine96821:
My spring heels fit over a big rubber peg and have no failure point, really.

Neither did Bob's.

The failure point, in this case, was the spring itself. It broke ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm not sure how one would attach the original strap as the binding post the strap attaches to (the little C shaped piece of metal with the sliding rod) has been removed. I guess one could attempt to jam it between the delrin cylinder and the fin. Cave line works and is a multi tasker.

I'm looking at one of mine, and like the one in the picture, the connection point is completely covered by the delrin cylinder. This looks like a great place to store salt and gunk and difficult to rinse out. So when I take them apart to put in the string should I drill the delrin spring-hole larger to allow better rinsing and inspection? Will bending the C-shaped SS in order to take them apart unduely fatigue the SS? Should I heat up the SS? Should I just leave them alone and shut the **** up?

timle:
I'm not sure how one would attach the original strap as the binding post the strap attaches to (the little C shaped piece of metal with the sliding rod) has been removed. I guess one could attempt to jam it between the delrin cylinder and the fin. Cave line works and is a multi tasker.
I think she has a different style of fin- not jets.

Mares Quatros...better for striding off and not breaking my ankles. Jet fins are nice, but they damage my big toenails for some reason.

so....ya'll all carry cave line right?

I know if my mask strap broke, I'd just fashion a temp with that cave line on my reel. And maybe put the whole deal under my hood. It's fun to whip out the knife anyway.

We had a tourist die here a few years back who jumped in for a night dive and was wearing too large rental fins, which both came off on the entry and his inflator was not connected (missed in the dark)

He could not get off the bottom, and died, in the first few minutes. Not having your "motor" at night or in current can get serious pretty fast.

Carry cave line? Yup on my spool in my right pocket.

I feel bad the guy died but how did he die? Did he have a reg in his mouth? Connect inflator - get a little bit positive. can't connect inflator - manually inflate - get a little bit positive.

I agree not having fins in a current can get serious - as in coming up way far from where you want to be - but fins are not the only or best way to the surface. Getting netural and then inhaling deeply will do it.

yea...he was a new diver, who knows. Nobody knows, he was found with no fins and his inflator wasn't connected. My "note to self" was make sure people's rental fins fit.

I am just sayin...if something breaks, don't forget you have cave line.

Back
Top Bottom