when spring straps break ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
So there I was, just entering a swim-through on Palancar Caves (Cozumel), when suddenly the fin on my left foot felt all wobbly. Looking back, I noticed that my spring strap had broken. Reaching back I removed the fin, so as not to lose it, and dolphin kicked the swim-through using my "good" foot. Once through the swim-through, I managed to use the internal line to tie the strap sufficient to complete the dive.

So much for the theory that spring straps don't break ... these things don't have all that many dives on them ... perhaps just 150 or so ...

P1010003.jpg

P1010004.jpg

The good news is that ...

(a) I was able to do a field repair that allowed me to complete the dive (which is good, because we were at 90 fsw in current).

(b) I was able to use zip ties to fix them sufficient to get me through the trip (which is good because I'm not sure anyone on Cozumel sells spring straps, and I wouldn't want to know how much they charged for them if they did).

and

(c) It didn't happen locally, where I'd have had to manipulate that thin piece of string with dry gloves on ... :11:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Wow, I figured they would break when stretching them to get them on or off. So I didn't figure they wouldn't break just be far more likely to fail at the surface - when stressed the most. 150 dives seems pretty low, any noticable damage or corrosion at the break point?

Yes, the spring at the break point was clearly corroded. I'm considering sending it back to Manta if they're interested in investigating the failure point. After, that is, I get some replacement spring straps (still deciding which ones I want to replace these with) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

1st time I've ever heard of one breaking, but I guess it can happen to anything. With corrosion there, possibly it was a manufacturing defect of the spring wire itself, not being as good a grade of stainless steel as it was supposed to be?

Bob,
I have extra springs and stainless steel wire from McCarr. We can get together when you get back and fix them before your next dive trip.

I'm not a fan of the cave line and plastic tubing design.

Hantzu

Did you put the strings in yourself? I think I'm going to put strings in mine now. Thanks for the information.

Hantzu, thanks ... I just sent you a PM.

evad:
Did you put the strings in yourself? I think I'm going to put strings in mine now. Thanks for the information.
Manta put the strings in there. Had they not been there, I'd have simply cut some line off my spool and used it for the field repair. But having the line already in there really made things easier.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have and love the Halcyon spring straps. $$ but worth it.

My buddy has had 2 pairs of Halcyon straps go (the pins corrode and come out)
First time he just added a new pin. Now I think he needs different kind of straps altogether.

The Halcyon design is doomed to failure though I think. I did flatten off the top of the pins on the one set of H springs I have and so far have not had them come apart. He didnt flatten them off I think...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom