When should I service regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Only when they tell me they need servicing which is usually somewhere between 3-5 years depending on how heavily I'm using them and how well I've been cleaning/rinsing/storing them.

How you use, rinse, dry and store them is critical.
The IP gauge is a step in right direction.

I have several different answers, choose which one best fits your situation:

A) if you know nothing about regs, are not mechanically inclined and are happy about that, and abuse your equipment, then follow the manufacturers recommendations and take them into your LDS on a regular basis. Pool dive the regs after each service to ensure they are working as good as they were before they were serviced.

B) if you are slightly mechanically inclined, hate getting ripped off paying for stuff you do not need, and do not abuse your equipment, then buy an IP gauge, learn how to use it. Also learn how to do simple inspection and cleaning of the second stages to remove sand or debris. take your regs into your LDS only when they need it.

C) if you are mechanically inclined, then you can learn how your regs work and perform all of your own service. Inspect regularly, Service as needed.

A well cared for reg can go hundreds of dives with no issues. An abused reg will need service right after the first salt water dive...

My regs are approaching 30 years old and I originally had them serviced every year by a LDS due to fear mongering by the scuba industry. Then they screwed em up. Several times. By several different LDS. I also realized that the service costs were about 1/3 the cost of a new reg. So I now service my own regs whenever they need it. Since I am a vacation diver I clean and inspect them after every trip.

I think this post says it all.

I used to wait until I had an issue (usually around 5 years) such as slight free flow sometimes, and then get them serviced. After a number of crap services (where once part of my primary reg fell off under water first use after a service) I did a tech course and now service ALL my own gear.

Have even caught shops "servicing regs" by checking them and saying they are ok, not even pulled them apart, but still charge for them. I know many shops do the right thing, but being caught in this way does leave a very bad taste. The only person I now have to blame if anything goes wrong is ME!

Also if you work out the maths, if your reg lasts 5 years between servicing (lets say $130-150/year service costs) after 5 years of no servicing you could buy a new set and be no more out of pocket and have new regs every 5 years.

Oh yeah, get one of these (weather you want to do your own service or not):

Pistonbullet.GIF
Vance Harlow's
SCUBA REGULATOR MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR

This is the real thing - not just another how-to-rinse-your-regulator-and -replace-your-mouthpiece "SCUBA servicing" book, but a genuine industrial-strength, hands-on guide to serious regulator repair. How to take them apart, diagnose and overhaul them, and tune them for maximum performance. Valves and tanks are also covered
"Worth its weight in excess baggage charges." - IMMERSED Magazine

Mine go 4-5 years between rebuilds, sometimes longer on regs that I don't use all that often. But I soak them after salt water use and purge some dry air through them before storage. Actually I lose track of when they've been serviced last; I should try to keep some records. I check them frequently; IP, leak test, vacuum test on the 2nd stages. It takes all of 2-3 minutes. When it looks like a reg is starting to wear, (usually IP creep) I stop using it and put it aside to rebuild. There are several 1st stages I own that I rebuilt when I bought them, and haven't since. I bet some of those are going on 10 years.

Occasionally a 2nd stage will need some adjustment as the seat gets imprinted, but I wouldn't consider that a 'service'.

As many DIYers, I started working on my own due to terrible work done by a dive shop. Regulators are very simple devices, working on them is easier than either plumbing or auto mechanics. The Vance Harlow book is excellent, and there is some good advice on this forum.

Back
Top Bottom