When looking for cold water gloves/boots/hood...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaNinja

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
As you can see from the topic, I'm looking for a little advice on exposure suit accessories. I'll be experiencing my very first open water dive this Saturday off the coast of Florence, Oregon so I'll get a little first hand experience with my own 7mm pinnacle full wetsuit plus (matching of course) 3/5mm full-vest-hood-combo-thing. I will be diving year-round, so I would like my gear to reflect this. The temperatures we're looking at are 45 F in the winter to mid-60s in the summer; not sure what conditions are right now, but the shop will be providing appropriate accessories. I've already got plans for my next dive after certification, so I'm going to want to be getting my own gear soon.

Now I've done a little bit of research into what I should be looking for in a pair of gloves, boots, and hood, and I've come to understand it's all about personal preference and how comfortable the diver feels. But I still have a few questions.

Gloves: I'd like to keep some dexterity in my fingers, so 7mm doesn't seem very practical BUT (due to lack of experience) I'm not sure how big the difference is going to be between a 7mm and maybe these (matching) 4mm pinnacle gloves. :blinking:

Boots: Everyone in my class got 7mm no-name boots, but I opted for the more expensive 5mm henderson titanium h2 snazzy boots (didn't realize I was stepping down in thickness at the time). My question for these bad boys are: does the titanium lining really make a difference in warmth and do you think the 5mm will work out (at least during late spring/summer)? Should I be saving up for a second pair of 7mm boots for winter (haven't even looked into what pair I'd get... but knowing myself, if Pinnacle has a matching pair that are well reviewed and priced, I'd probably go with them)?

Hood: Basically the same question as the boots and gloves - is 5mm going to be thick enough? In your experience, does that extra 2mm really make that big a difference for the hood/gloves/boots?

Your head is going to be the most important, by far. I'd go for one of the famous (for good reason) 12mm Otter Bay hoods. The warmest boots I've used are the 7mm "pull on" type with no zippers. Every boot zipper I've seen leaks like crazy. I wouldn't even think of using 5mm boots and the titanium lining is a marketing joke. It doesn't do anything at all. For gloves I'd recommend the Waterproof 5mm or the XS scuba (semi) dry gloves.

awesome - I've heard fantastic things about the semi dry gloves

Spend the money on a well-fitted, thick hood. My friends all swear by the Otter Bay ones -- I haven't done that yet, but I will tell you that a poor fit really impacts your overall warmth, as does a hood with a couple hundred dives on it that's several mm thinner than it used to be . . . :D

Reacting from experience this past weekend.... :)

Water temp was 58 F and we had a warm water pump to fill our suits. My 5mm boots (without a zipper) worked out great, though the 5mm gloves were a little chilly (more water movement, wrong size; they were rentals). The 7mm full suit was toasty warm with the 3mm vest/5mm hood combo, but when I removed the vest in favor of a bibbed-hood (I thought I was going to be more comfortable, but a hood is a hood is a hood it seems :p ) there was just enough water movement at the back of the suit through the zipper that it made me "feel" pretty chilly. My core temp felt fine with the remaining dives, but that extra 3mm between me and the zipper made a huge difference for maintaining critical butt-warmth temperatures (which is where my zipper was leaking, btw). Everywhere else felt toasty warm, except for that little bit of water movement.... but now I'll just keep my vest on :p

Long story short - thickness wasn't really an issue. The "problems" I ran into were leaky zippers (fixed with layering; the leak was minimal) and gloves that were too large. You know what that means, don't you? I'll have to dive colder temps in which to try out the 6mm gloves I picked up on a buying impulse... (of course they match; did you really have to ask?).

Back
Top Bottom